Friday, May 24, 2024

Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant - Anne Tyler

 


I first read Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant in 1987, and I've since considered it to be one of my two favorite Anne Tyler novels. This afternoon, some thirty-seven years later, I finished reading the novel for the second time - and the tie is broken. I'm disappointed to say that Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant did not quite live up to my memories of it. I know...I know. I've changed. Or maybe I'm not in the right mood for a novel like this one right now. Perhaps I've seen too many similar stories told by now, or maybe even seen the same story told better. Whatever the case, this re-read reminds me that you don't always get what you wish for when your pick up an old favorite for the first time in decades.

Don't get me wrong. Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant is an excellent novel. It's just that it's an Anne Tyler novel, and I hold Tyler and other writers I consider among the best I've ever read to a much higher standard than the standard I use to judge lesser writers by (and I know that's not fair).

As are all Anne Tyler novels, Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant is set in Baltimore. Pearl Tull is dying, and for the first time in a long, long while she is not angry at the world. She's tired of being angry at the husband who abandoned her and his three children thirty-five years earlier, and now that her children are all relatively successful adults, she doesn't have the energy to be angry at them either. Her children, though, are still struggling with the anger Pearl passed down to them. 

Cody, oldest of the three, still resents his mother for choosing his younger brother Ezra as her favorite, and he still sees Ezra more as a rival to be competed against than as a brother. Ezra, on the other hand, is so passive and easygoing, that Cody ends up largely fighting himself, not Ezra. And because this is not a touchy-feely kind of family, Jenny directs her empathy elsewhere and becomes a successful pediatrician. None of the three think much about their father anymore, and all of them have learned to get along plenty well without ever having known the man.

But Ezra, ever the idealist, won't give up on his family. He owns an unusual restaurant, a place purposely built to remind patrons of the kind of home-cooked meals they grew up on, even to Ezra occasionally choosing what meal his customers are going to have on a given night. For every big family event, Ezra invites his mother, his siblings, and their children for a special meal at the restaurant - but the Tulls have never successfully completed even one dinner. One or another of them (usually Pearl or Cody) always stalks off in a huff somewhere around the midway point of the meal - if not even before the first bites are taken. Ezra, however, is not a quitter, and he has one last chance to make it happen. 

A family dinner has been planned for right after Pearl's funeral - with one surprise guest.

Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant is a generational saga about a family slow to learn from its past. It is a warning about what can happen when families are incapable of change, and how the sins of one generation can make life miserable for the next. Now the question is whether or not this latest Tull family dinner at the Homesick Restaurant is also going to be the last one - or if they finally get it right.

Dust jacket photo, disclaimer and all

12 comments:

  1. I read this one too. Probably in the late '80s as well. So long ago I don't remember it. But I might have the same reaction you did. Sadly often novels from one's younger decades don't pan out the same in the present time. Just things change. Our reading opinions change ... and we used to think they were the best ever ... and then it turns out not to be. Oh well. Tyler is still a champ ... maybe the Accidental Tourist is still a winner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do think my problem with it is that I've come to recognize the plot now, and have read takeoffs on the same basic plot several times. It kind of reminds me of Mercury, which I reviewed just a few days ago...and I think actually handled the concept better than Tyler did here. (hurts me to say that)

      Delete
  2. I expect to enjoy Anne Tyler's books because I haven't read those types of novels much at all, at any time in my life, so they will seem newer to me. And the setting in Baltimore will be new to me, and I like going back to books written in the 1980s. We will see.

    But the book by Tyler I plan to read this summer was published in 2020, which is different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never failed to enjoy an Anne Tyler, Tracy, and I consider her to be one of the finest novelists I've read. I love her quirky characters and families, and that's what keeps me always on the lookout for a new one from her. I think what happened this time around is that my "memories" of the novel built my expectations higher than they should have been coming in to this re-read. I still have it ranked in the top 15 novels I've read this year (out of 45, total), and I'm planning to read another one soon, probably Morgan's Passing.

      Delete
  3. I think what happened to you with this book is why I sometimes hesitate to read past favorites...I'm afraid I won't love them as much now and I don't want to ruin my memories of them. Anne Tyler is great at creating quirky characters and writing about families. It's what I love most about her books. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly why I'm so hesitant to re-read old favorites, Lark. People change, the culture changes, and we end up not being the same person who may have read the book (or watched the movie) decades earlier. I've had this experience before, but thankfully, not often enough to completely turn me off to re-reads. It's really kind of an interesting experience, now that I think about it.

      Delete
  4. I read this back in the 80s, too, but don't remember a thing about the plot - only the setting and feelings. I've enjoyed so many of Tyler's books over the years, but haven't been tempted to reread them. That might be a good thing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really difficult for me to remember, or keep straight, most of her plots because there's really not all that much action involved. To me her books seemed to be primarily character driven ones about quirky individuals trying to fit into a world that's so different from them, or whole families of relative misfits who are struggling to hold things together. Her later novels, I suppose, are more gentle in a lot of ways because some of them feature older characters or couples. I don't exactly regret re-reading this one, but it has made me a little cautious so I'm going to try not to have my expectations built up too high going into the next re-read of hers I do.

      Delete
  5. Another one that the title is about all I remember. I know that if I began to reread, many details would come back, but honestly, I'm not inclined at the moment to reread Tyler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's odd what we remember about books we enjoyed so much during the moment. I think that after four or five decades, the best I can hope for is a general impression accompanied by clearer memories of "why" I enjoyed certain books so much. Re-reading, however, is something I'm going to approach with a little bit of caution.

      Delete
  6. This was my first Anne Tyler, so I feel sentimental about it. Also, I can remember exactly where I was while I was reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how certain books become life-benchmarks that way for so many of us. I've got a handful of those myself...not all great books, but some of the ones that I remember with the most fondness. (Including the original Planet of the Apes novel that I sneaked into Army basic training in 1968, a book that helped get me through all of that chaos)

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.