Monday, April 01, 2024

What I'm Reading This Week (April 1, 2024)

 


Despite being left with the feeling that I had squandered every minute of the time I spent reading one of the three books I finished last week, the week ended up having more pluses than minuses in the end, and that's all about any of us can hope for these days. I finished The Storm We Made, A Death in Denmark, and Ordinary Human Failings, and was very pleasantly surprised by Ordinary Human Failings. I've also picked up Kat Timpf's You Can't Joke About That again and pretty made good progress on a couple of other novels.   

I have a lot that I want to say about Megan Nolan's Ordinary Human Failings but I find myself wanting to let it all simmer in my mind a couple of more days before tackling a review. I had no idea what to expect of this one or its young author when I picked it up for the first time, but I found myself only reluctantly putting it down again after I had. It's only 215 pages long, but it left me feeling that I had just finished one of those long, multi-generational family sagas that I used to enjoy so much. There's a whole lot packed into this tragic story. It's a definite 5-star novel for me.

There was a little chatter last week about reading Alice McDermott, and that made me want to go back and read her National Book Award winner Charming Billy again. I don't remember many of the details about the book, but I do remember being completely caught up in the lives of Billy and his Irish-American friends and family. What I remembered most vividly about the story is its opening sequence at Billy's wake where all of Billy's old friends tell stories and speculate about his life. I've reread those pages now, and they are even better than I remembered them from my first reading. Lots to look forward to, I think.

I needed something a little less demanding, and decided to see what all of the hype is about concerning this T.J. Newman novel. I have to tell you that I just about chucked it after reading the way-over-the-top introduction to Falling, but I decided to read the first chapter before doing that, and I'm glad I did. I've only read two chapters so far, but the book seems to be very well written and nicely constructed in spite of the silly dream sequence that opens it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that that turns out to be the case.

Crow Talk has been a little more difficult for me to get into than most novels, but I'm a firm believer in Eileen Garvin's work, so I'm not about to give up on this one. I'm probably 35% of the way through the book now, and now that I'm into the characters and the family dynamics of the main character, it's all becoming pretty intriguing. Garvin's characters in The Music of Bees were so vividly painted in my mind that I still remember them well, and I think that's going to be the main strength of Crow Talk, too.

So, if you throw in The Plague (one I neglected last week) and You Can't Joke About That, I begin the week with five books in progress. And depending on which ones I finish during the week, most of the more likely candidates I'll start later in the week come from the Women's Prize for Fiction longlist:

South Korean author Mirinae Lee set this one in North Korea

Liberian born author Peace Adzo Medie set this one in Ghana

Aube Rey Lescure is a French-Chinese American writer


If any of those three turn out to be as good as Ordinary Human Failings, which is part of the same longlist, I'll already consider myself fortunate to have taken a hard look at this year's prize nominees. I hope you all had a pleasant Easter weekend, and will look forward to visiting with you during the week. Read on.

10 comments:

  1. Looks like you've got a lot of good books to read this week. I have a stack of library books to choose from, I just haven't decided which one I'm in the mood to read first. Happy reading this week, Sam. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having something to fit multiple moods and energy levels is the key to steady reading, for sure. I hope you have a great week.

      Delete
  2. That's a very interesting set of books to get your teeth into, Sam. I like the cover on Charming Billy but Crow Talk is the one I look forward to reading your thoughts on. For obvious reasons I've been reading easy books this last week or so, two Agatha Christies, one of which was excellent, the other not so much. I've just started the second Ryder Creed book by Alex Kava because I'm ready for something more challenging now. I hope you enjoy all of your reading plans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cath. Comfort reading is probably exactly what you need right now, but it's kind of a shame that Agatha Christie can be such a hit-or-miss author sometimes. I've only read two, one I liked a lot and one that did nothing at all for me. I don't know Alex Kava's work at all, but I'll take a look now that you mentioned it. You have me curious. Crow Talk is well written and all, but I'm still not really engaging with the characters. It doesn't help that there are really only four characters (at least so far) that really count. One is a little autistic boy, and I'm finding him the most interesting of the bunch...I really seem to be finding a lot of fiction lately that deals with autism.

      Thinking about you, Cath. Take care of yourself.

      Delete
  3. Yes I'm curious too about River East, River West and I look forward to your review of the Megan Nolan novel. I don't know much about that one yet. But after McDermott's recent novel I'm ready to declare her a national gem of a writer. A treasure even. And I've only read One of hers. So I better get cracking on her backlist sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to sit down long enough to write at least one review today because I'm getting farther and farther behind, and I hate that feeling. McDermott is a treasure of a writer, for sure. My re-reading of Charming Billy reminds me just how good she is. River East, River West looks to be really good from the little time I've spent with it, especially the prose style.

      Delete
  4. Range of interesting varied reads here. Enjoy them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are kind of all over the map, for sure. One of the main reasons I like to spend some time with award longlists is that they usually do offer quite a variety of titles and authors I most probably would have never otherwise considered. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this bunch turns out to be as good as it appears at first glance to be.

      Delete
  5. This is the first I'm hearing about Ordinary Human Failings, but your initial comments sure have my attention. Can't wait to hear more about it! I'll be reading McDermott's Absolution sometime this month, but never read Charming Billy. Sounds like it may be another one for my list. Hope you're having a good week, Sam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished a review of Ordinary Human Failings and it will post in the morning. My concern is that I make it sound so gloomy that it scares everyone off. It's gloomy, for sure, but it is really a beautiful and thoughtful novel, so much so that I suspect it will end up in my Top Five for the year. I just got hold of Absolution myself and now just need to fit it in before the library starts hollering to get it back.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.