Tuesday, April 02, 2024

My Reading Reached an Unexpected Milestone the Other Day


My reading reached a milestone one day last week that I never expected to attain. And it all started with a book list I've somehow managed to maintain since February 18, 1970, a list that started out as simply one to record the title, author and date read for every book I complete. 

When it all started, I was 21 years old and about to get married, so I must have been thinking about all the milestones ahead of us in the coming decades, and it must have seemed like a good idea to begin a list like this one. I never, though, dreamed that I would still be doing this more than 54 years later or that the list would ever approach something like 4,000 titles. I remember thinking how great it would be to look back and see that I'd read one or two thousand books in my life. At the pace I was reading back then, what with all the demands life was making on us at the time, I didn't see the odds of hitting even those numbers as being very much in my favor. 

But last week, Megan Nolan's Ordinary Human Failings, a novel I really enjoyed, became book number 4,000 on the list. And I still find that number hard to believe considering my original goals.

Below is a post I made back in 2017 about a book that rekindled my enthusiasm about maintaining the list for as long as I possibly can. Pamela Paul is a true kindred spirit for me, and what she's done with her own list is pretty remarkable. Makes me want to go back and read My Life with Bob all over again.


**************************************************************************************************************


It doesn’t happen often, but every once in a great while a book comes along that seems to have been written just for you.  It may be a book about some obscure hobby of yours that you figured no one else in the world cared about, or about some equally obscure figure from the past you imagined no one remembered (much less actually cared about) but you.  And in the unlikeliest of all cases, it might be a book - imagine it now, a whole book - about some weird habit of yours that you seldom speak of in public.  It is exactly that last possibility that happened to me with Pamela Paul’s My Life with Bob: Flawed Heroine Keeps Book of Books, Plot Ensues.  Who knew there was another person in the world maintaining a decades-old list of every book they ever read?

Paul, editor of the New York Times Book Review, began keeping her Book of Books (the “Bob” referenced in this memoir’s title) in 1988 when she was just a high school junior.  (As a point of reference, I began my own “Bob” in 1970, a few months before I turned twenty-two.)  Paul describes Bob as “factory-made, gray and plain, with a charcoal binding and white unlined paper, an inelegant relic from the days before bookstores stocked Moleskine notebooks,” exactly the kind of non-descript little book, I suspect, guaranteed to remain forever safe from the prying eyes of outsiders. 

In twenty-two chapters, each chapter carrying the title of one of the books listed in Bob, Paul exhibits just how precisely she is able to reconstruct segments of her past by studying Bob’s pages.  Each of the books chosen for chapters of their own remind the author of where she was both “psychologically and geographically” when she first read them.  By studying the list to see which books she read before and after the highlighted title, Paul can easily see whether the earlier books put her in the mood for more of the same or pushed her toward reading something very different.  Too, if her reading choices moved in a new direction, she can quickly determine how long that new interest or trend lasted.  And she confirmed something concerning one’s memory about which most avid readers will readily agree: Keeping a list of fiction read does very little to solidify the recall of characters or plot details – what it does do is provide a better understanding of changes in one’s own “character.”

Pamela Paul
My Life with Bob is an intimate look into the life of a woman who has made books and reading the central core of her life.  She has had many roles during her life:  student, daughter, wife, mother, etc., but I suspect that she takes equal joy in knowing that reader is an essential term others would use to describe who she is – and always has been. 

Readers are a curious lot, and one of the things we are most curious about is what others are reading.  We cannot resist browsing the bookshelves of those whose homes we visit, often altering our opinions (either upwardly or downwardly) about those being visited according to what we see on their shelves.  We find ourselves straining to read the titles of books on shelves sitting behind pictures of celebrities and politicians because we know that people are more likely to reveal their true nature and level of curiosity by what they choose to display on their private bookshelves than by what comes out of their mouths.  We can’t help ourselves; that’s the way we are.


If you are one of those people, you are going to love My Life with Bob because Pamela Paul is a kindred spirit who gets it.

18 comments:

  1. What a wonderful and impressive milestone! Wowsa! Gosh I wish I had thought to make a reading list back in 1970. You were so smart to start such a list .... and it's such a great record to have now. 4,000 titles strong! keep it rolling ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The list does have its downside in that its just another reminder that the bulk of my reading is in the rearview mirror now. But that doesn't keep me from shooting for 5,000 books. ha

      Delete
  2. Impressive! and even more interesting the things you can glean just by looking at how the list of titles shifts over time. I never thought of making a complete count of how many read in my lifetime, though at one point I did have the aspiration to write reviews of every book I'd ever read- that I could remember. Haven't kept up with that idea in a long time (but it's why my blog still has a designation between 'past reads' and 'current reads').

    It is so lovely to find a book that reflects something very personal. I remember being thrilled when I read a fiction that featured a pet store with an angelfish breeder. The details of raising and keeping those fish were so dear to me- even though the rest of the story I had little interest in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul's book focuses on exactly that, Jeane, in that each of the titles she chose to focus on remind her of specific events and times in her past. My notes (at least until after I read her book) are not nearly as extensive as hers, but even my lists when considered by year serve as a reminder of what was happening in our lives at the moment they were read. And as you say, the shift in reading taste can be pretty astounding when I look for patterns. It's been fun. You might really enjoy her book.

      Delete
  3. Wow! Congrats on reaching your 4,000th book. That's impressive. Your list is older than me. ;D I started keeping a notebook of books I've read about ten years ago or so, but I've never counted up all the titles on it. I should sometime. I love that reading has been such an important part of your life. And I enjoyed reading Paul's book, too. Have a great day, Sam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading and a love of baseball and music have definitely been the most consistent things in my life, Lark. I was a reader before starting school and can't remember a time I didn't enjoy it. Baseball and music came a little later, but it seems like they have always been there now. Thankfully, all three interests fit well with this stage of life, so I feel lucky to have taken to each of them so strongly.

      Delete
  4. Big congratulations Sam on reading 4000 books! and keeping a list of each book you read back to 1970. It's so important because if we don't keep a list, and I haven't but want to start, we forget what we read. I mean certain books we will remember but the vast majority we won't. And I am thinking the secret to starting a list like this is perseverane and also just listing the book, the author, when read and leave it at that. If we feel we also have to give a little review to each book it may become too much .Also Pamela Paul going on my want to read list.

    And thanks Sam for giving me the idea of keeping a notebook too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy. Up until just a few years ago, the list was the simple date, title, author kind of thing that works really well for me when trying to see which authors I've read most over the years and how my tastes have changed - and why. Then I started to write a couple of sentences about each of them, hoping to include enough trigger-words that I will remember more about the books than I sometimes manage to remember when studying the list. Do let me know how it works for you; it's like anything else, do it regularly enough and it becomes second-nature and just another habit you don't think much about. It's becomes a natural part of reading a book.

      Delete
  5. Wow, what an amazing milestone!! Congratulations, Sam! I've got a reading record going back to 1990, but I wish I had started one when I was younger. That must be quite a treasure to look back on. My Life with Bob was a solid 5 stars for me back in 2017, too, and I always appreciate the association certain titles have with various stages or events in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is really a great little book, isn't it? It made me appreciate my own list I lot more than I had before reading it, that's for sure. Paul showed me just how useful the list was in less obvious ways than I had been using it, and what a great memory-jogger it could be.

      Delete
  6. This is so cool, Sam! It did not occur to me to start keeping a list until about 2002 or so, although I have reconstructed a fair number of the books I have read using Goodreads. Although I haven't read Pamela Paul's book yet, I knew she was a kindred spirit even before it came out (and have considered writing my own) because she is a fan of the Betsy-Tacy books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how easy to find Paul's book is today, but from what you say here, I think you would like it a lot. I can't imagine going back very far and trying to reconstruct books well enough to give much more than a general opinion of them. That has to be a challenge.

      Delete
    2. I started making a chart with the ones significant enough to remember but I get distracted and forget to keep on it.

      Delete
    3. It can become a chore, but eventually it's more a habit than anything else. I found that it gives context to both my reading and to how much things change over the decades. Just looking at the titles read in any given year can give me a clue as to what I was generally feeling about the world and life when I read the books.

      Delete
  7. I wish I had been keeping records of my reading since 1970. There are so many books I cannot remember whether I read or not. I did not start my reading list until the beginning of 2002 and I only made a count by year so it would take a while to figure out how many books I have read in that period.

    I will definitely get a copy of My Life with Bob sometime in the next year. I still have to wait until September to buy any books, and I am going to have to pare down a huge list to decide what I buy first after that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even with the list, I sometimes find that I've read a book thirty or forty years from the time I first read it...and believed strongly that I was reading it for the first time on the second reading. Happened just last week again, in fact.

      Do keep My Life with Bob in mind. If you can find it in September at a decent price, I'd definitely recommend it for you.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations! I'm also adding My Life with Bob to the list. Loved the idea of "studying the list to see which books she read before and after the highlighted title" because I love the way I used to follow what I called my reading "itineraries" and how one book leads to another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her book has lots of good ideas about milking a reading list for all it's worth. I wish she had written it when I first started the list, what with all the clever ideas she offers about keeping a list like these. Those book chains can be fascinating. I've taken photos on my phone of bibliographies and books mentioned in some of the books I read and then going back to them. Some of those book-influence chains can get quite long and really turn into something unique every once in a while.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.