Thursday, April 11, 2024

Crow Talk - Eileen Garvin

 


Crow Talk is one of those books that sneak up on you as you read them. I was slow to warm up to Mary Francis O'Neill, the young woman at the heart of Crow Talk, and early on she is so geographically and socially isolated that I began to wonder if I ever would. It's not that "Frankie" is an unimpressive woman. As noted in the novel's very first paragraph, Frankie is first in her University of Washington graduate school class, was the first female from her high school to win a "full ride" to that school, and was even the first in her family to earn a bachelor's degree of any kind. And then there's the revealing kicker: she's also the first on either side of her family to reach the ripe old age of twenty-six without giving birth. 

Frankie has come to June Lake to regroup. She's frustrated and she's running from something, and the empty family cottage feels like her only refuge, a place where she can finally finish her thesis before getting on with the rest of her life. But there is obviously more to the story, and layer by layer, Frankie's past, her family dynamics, and the shakiness of her future are revealed. Frankie is unemployed (and perhaps unemployable), homeless, friendless, barely speaking to her family, and simply out of options. It is June Lake or nothing, even if she is the only one on the isolated lake as winter approaches. 

Then Aiden, a little autistic boy who suddenly stopped speaking a few months earlier, and Charlie, a baby crow with an injured leg, change everything. Frankie might not be able to heal herself or her family, but she's a natural when it comes to Aiden and Charlie, both of whom seem to recognize just how important Frankie might turn out to be in their own worlds. And maybe, just maybe, Aiden and Charlie Crow can return the favor.

It was only after finishing Crow Talk that I realized how fully invested I had become in the Frankie O'Neill character and how real she felt to me. Eileen Garvin has created a unique little world here filled with people I hated to see leave my own. Sure, her story is heartwarming and inspirational, but it's more than that. Much like Garvin's previous novel, The Music of Bees, Crow Talk is a painless science lesson. I came away from The Music of Bees understanding and appreciating more about the importance of bees and the intricacies of beekeeping than I ever expected to know. Crow Talk taught me about the fascinating life cycle of crows and the way that crows can interact with humans, even to recognizing the faces of their "allies." 

Eileen Garvin has become an author I trust, and I can't wait to see what she has to teach me next time around.

Eileen Garvin author photo

Look for Crow Talk on April 30.

10 comments:

  1. I think I would like to read this book. I like stories that are revealed slowly bit by bit, although some times it can get frustrating too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found, eventually, that all of that layering gave me a clear understanding of who the characters were supposed to be and how they got that way. I don't always have the patience for that kind of slow release, but I'm really happy that I stuck with this story. It's a satisfying one.

      Delete
  2. I loved The Music of Bees: the characters and the information about bees. Despite the disturbing effects of pesticides, the book left me feeling lighter and hopeful.
    Thanks for this review, Sam. I think I'm in need of Crow Talk and more of Eileen Garvin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it. The way that Garvin uses natural history backgrounds in her novels is one of the things I most enjoy about them. I'll look forward to hearing what you think of it at some point.

      Delete
  3. I really loved her book The Music of Bees. So I'm very glad to hear your thoughts on this new one. The fact that there's a crow in it is a big draw for me; I love crows. This is definitely one for my summer reading list! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crows are absolutely fascinating creatures. Charlie Crow was one of my favorite characters in this one. lol

      Delete
  4. This does sound like an unexpected pleasure! I have not heard of this author but will keep my eyes open. This sounds like a good book group book too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Garvin is very good, Constance. I have only read the two novels of hers I've mentioned, but I think there was one before Bees that I need to take a look at now.

      Delete
  5. Nicely reviewed. You have me wanting to read her books now. I think I'll start with the bee book first. I'll put it on my list, thanks. I like natural history kind of angles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the way her books have so much else going on around the main plot and characters. The natural history parts never seem contrived, nor do they get dull, because they are at the core of who her characters are. I'm already wondering what's next for her and what her first novel was all about.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.