Friday, September 08, 2023

LibraryThing, X, GoodReads, Amazon, B&N...Do you post to any of these?




Let's try something a little different. I suspect that many, if not most, of us, don't post reviews only to our own book blogs. I have spotted a number of familiar bloggers on other sites such as Twitter (X), GoodReads, LibraryThing, Amazon, and B&N, for instance. 

I think it would be fun to run into more familiar faces on those sites, so if anyone wants to share their links to any of those sites, just drop them into a comment to this post. I don't use any of the other popular book promotion tools such as those offered on  BookTok, Instagram, or YouTube, but if you use them, include those user links in your comment, too. 

I'll start us off with links to the sites I post to: 

LibraryThing

Twitter / X

GoodReads

The first site that I ever reviewed a book on was Amazon, but I don't share reviews there much anymore because I think it's the least trustworthy of all sites when it comes to review authenticity. My go-to site for years (other than Book Chase, of course) was LibraryThing, but that site has been struggling for a while now, and I got out of the habit of posting reviews there on a regular basis. I haven't given up on them, but it's gotten kind of quiet there. 

Then I discovered Twitter and used it as a place to post book review links back to the blog, and as a way to meet new bookish people. I suppose GoodReads is the place to be now, but that site seems really slow lately. I think that may be a function of GoodReads becoming the dominant book review site on the internet and the massive number of active members that results from that level of success...but it's frustrating.

Anyway, please do post your own links in the comments below because otherwise finding someone on any of the sites is kind of a looking-for-the-needle-in-a-haystack experience. 

13 comments:

  1. I visit GoodReads often to look at reviews of books I'm interested in, but somehow never had the interest of joining. It's just one more place to post and track things, but I already do that on LibraryThing (I think we're already friends there) However LibraryThing I only post reviews on books I own (some people use it for everything, but I find it odd to catalog books I've read or want to read- in my mind, that's what the blog is for! https://www.librarything.com/profile/jeane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, we are already friends on GoodReads. Thanks for posting your thoughts...and a link to your blog. I forgot to suggest that folks do that, too.

      Delete
  2. I have posted on Goodreads occasionally in the past, but not often. I actually would like to start doing that. But I think I would find it time consuming to put up a separate post there, and I am having a hard enough time posting on my blog and getting other things done as it is.

    One option that might work for me would be to post shorter posts on Goodreads when I don't do a separate review for a book on my blog.

    I haven't ever used Twitter or Facebook. I do enjoy seeing your reviews on Goodreads when I am checking out a book I am considering reading or have read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, I post the same review to GoodReads that I post here. I figure it's a whole new "audience," and the copy & paste doesn't take very long, so nothing lost. I have pretty much abandoned Facebook these days other than to check in with old friends every so often. Twitter is just too "noisy" for me to feel totally comfortable there, but I've picked up on some interesting books via that site, too.

      Delete
  3. Well, you and I follow each other on Goodreads and Twitter, I also use Facebook but only to advertise a new blog post or odd bits of art or funnies. I'm also on Instagram but am not keen on it so hardly use it. I should really repost my book reviews to Goodreads and am not sure why I don't. I think it boils down to, 'I can't be bothered!' LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all becomes a little much sometimes, Cath, I agree. I originally started to use LibraryThing back in the day when you had to pay for a "lifetime membership" mainly to create a database for the books I owned and read. That worked brilliantly for a long time, and then I started GoodReads to see how that experience would turn out to be. I've never figured out the point of Instagram, though, and BookTok is definitely not for me. Twitter can be a little contentious at times...all that political garbage that sneaks in through the door.

      Delete
  4. Hi Sam, goodreads is a good site because you can keep track of books you want to read, are currently reading and have read. You can also set goals for how many books you plan to read in a year. I also like the Goodreads Reader's Choice Awards that come out every year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GoodReads has evolved nicely over the years, Kathy, and must really be hurting the older LibraryThing site. Over time, I've started using GoodReads a lot more than I use LibraryThing but the early database I built at LT is still valuable to me.

      Delete
  5. Hi Sam, I just started to revamp my blog (Chick with Books) and bring it back to life, but I always posted/post my reviews on Goodreads and my blog. I have posted on LibraryThing too (and that's where I started keeping track of all my books to begin with), but after posting on the first two, it all gets to be a bit time consuming. I'm retired now and it seems I have less time than I did working. I think it comes down to I'm a poor time manager.lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sam, I use Goodreads for a quick sketch & thoughts about a book I just read ... and then later I put a more expanded or edited better review of that on my blog. I will follow your reviews if you are on Goodreads. Here's my profile there. https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/8687005-susan-wright

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the link to your GoodReads account, Susan. I've sent you a friend request so that we can link up there...so many Susans on GoodReads I never would have found you otherwise. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a Goodreads addict, but you already know that since we follow each other over there. I used to use an app that auto-posted links to Twitter when I posted on my blog for free, but it no longer supports Twitter so I no longer post over there. I would continue to post links if I could find another free auto-post site; without it, it's too much work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twitter is definitely a lot of work, and I'm not really convinced it's worth the effort other than to tell publishers that you have another means of exposing reviews. I don't seem to get many clicks from Twitter at all, however. GoodReads has become the site I most use nowadays.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.