Sunday, September 17, 2023

A Baker's Dozen of Bookish Podcasts...Do You Listen?


Book Fight! calls itself "a book podcast where writers talk honestly about books, writing, and the literary world," and it's hosted by writing professionals Mike Ingram and Tom McAllister. (Rated 4.4 with 233 review)


I've listened to Books and Authors for a long time and find this podcast to be one of the most consistently high-quality book podcasts out there. I've recently enjoyed episodes featuring Zadie Smith and Ann Patchett, and another titled "George Orwell Now." (Rated 4.3 with 321 reviews)


I seem to be introduced to more new-to-me writers via Simon Mayo's Books of the Year than from most of the other book podcasts I favor. I did, however, particularly enjoy two recent episodes featuring an old favorite of mine, Sebastian Faulks. (Rated 4.7 with 55 reviews)


This one from the New York Times can always be counted on to get interviews with the currently hottest writers of the moment. They've recently switched to a new host and tweaked the format a bit, so I'm still getting used to the new look. (Rated at 4.1 with 3,200+ reviews)


I don't listen to the London Review of Books podcast as often as I do some of the others because, frankly, it's often over my head or outside my area of interest. But it's a quality podcast that keeps me coming back. (Rated at 4.5 with 201 reviews)


Write-Minded bills itself as "Weekly Inspiration for Writers" but I've enjoyed many of the podcasts strictly from a reader's point of view. In fact, the most recent episode on telling stories via different points of view is fascinating. (Rated at 4.9 with 400 reviews)


So Many Damn Books has been around since 2014 but it's one of the more recent "discoveries" of mine. It seems to feature a lot of writers I'm unfamiliar with so it's been the source of several author discoveries for me. (Rated at 4.7 with 251 reviews)


Reading Through Life caught my attention because it self-describes this way: "a weekly podcast by two best friends who would love to live in a library. We believe that there is no better company than that towering pile of 73 unread novels you have sitting on the nightstand." It's like eavesdropping on two best friends at a coffee shop while they gush about the books they are reading. (Rated at 4.5 with 133 reviews)


This one is a bit different in that it features one author reading aloud the work of another and commenting on it in an interview format. Unlike most of these podcasts, The New Yorker Fiction podcast updates only monthly, but I particularly enjoyed the July episode that saw George Saunders reading Claire Keegan's short story "So Late in the Day." (Rated at 4.4 with 2,900+ reviews)


Just the Right Book is hosted by an indie bookstore owner and features a lot of nonfiction alternated with "What's New" podcasts. It's fun to hear things from a bookseller's point of view. (Rated 4.6 with 327 reviews)


Sarah and a guest discuss: "2 old books they love, 2 new books they love, 1 book they don't love, and 1 new release they're excited about." Always interesting. (Rated 4.8 with 655 reviews)


What Should I Read Next? is right at the top of my list because of the topics it covers and its presentation...not at all "bossy." I recently enjoyed, and learned a lot from, the episode that covered "how bestseller lists are compiled." (Rated 4.8 with 4,800+ reviews)



I particularly love the "Author Takeover" episodes from Fully Booked in which one author comes in to interview another about their work. Usually the two are friends so what they share is a good way to learn more about their everyday lives and how they work. (Rated 3.9 with 77 reviews)

So there you have my baker's dozen of favorite book podcasts - at least as of today because I keep discovering new ones every week or so. As you can see, all of these are highly rated, but I think their overall popularity is best gauged by the number of reviews they've harvested from listeners so I've included those numbers also. This barely scratches the surface of the world of book podcasting, so let me know if you have a particular favorite one yourselves. I'd love to check them out.

10 comments:

  1. I agree with your comment on my current blog post about the Nobel scientist. Your list of book podcasts is both wonderful and dangerous for me, since I keep buying books and have hundreds of books at home already waiting for me to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean. Honestly, I don't pick up a whole lot of book choices from the podcasts; I use them more as a way to listen to my favorite writers being interviewed, along with a lot of solid book talk about classics, literary trends, etc. I have at least 200 unread books on my shelves right now...and an even longer list. :-)

      Delete
  2. Hi Sam, Thank you for letting us know about these book podcasts. I am more of a book tuber and there are so many good ones out there. But I would also like to explore podcasts and It sounds like Book Fight is a popular site so I must check that one out. Also Sarah''s Bookshelf sounds interesting because they review two old books, two new books, a book they didn't like and a book that is coming out. That covers everything and I must check out that podcast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I hope a couple of these podcasts work for you. That's the best thing about them, there are so many good bookish podcasts out there these days, that there's almost certainly something for eveyone.

      Delete
  3. What a great idea for a post! I've been enjoying bookish podcasts for the last two or three years, including about half of these, but have also found a few new suggestions. Just the Right Book is produced by R.J. Julia Booksellers in Madison, CT... my local indie bookstore for half the year. I've been loving their new alternate week "shorts" format and have added several books to my list as a result. The store is gorgeous and they have great author events, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a really wonderful bookstore, JoAnn. Thanks for the heads-up on their podcast; I'll be sure to check it out soon.

      Delete
  4. Podcasts, especially bookish ones, is something I feel like I'm missing out on. The problem is time, there isn't enough of it to do everything I want now, let alone if I take up listening to podcasts. It's a shame but I will say something. What with Booktube and podcasts now being available I no longer feel the need to pester the BBC about their lack of book coverage on TV, I've found it elsewhere. Epic fail on their behalf though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about that. The major broadcast networks really missed the boat by underestimating the reading audience and how much they would support television and radio broadcasts concerning books and authors. And then the newspapers and magazines cut way back on book reviews and interviews, too, opening the door wide for others to step in and thrive on that fan base. Big mistake, but thankfully, the gap is solidly filled now.

      Delete
  5. This is a good list and I've enjoyed listening to several of these, but others I don't know -- so I'm really glad you've talked about each. Sometimes I listen to NPR's Book of the Day podcast or The Book Club Review podcast which is pretty good too. I will try the ones you've listed too. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find something new and enjoyable on the list. I can't believe there are so many of them out there.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.