Monday, December 02, 2019

Without Expiration - William R. Hincy (Book Trailer of the Week Series)

I have been a fan of well-produced book trailers for a long time, and I've been featuring them here on Book Chase since sometime in early 2012. Book trailers, I think, are an asset whose value is all too often underestimated by publishers and authors. In numerous cases, it was only because I stumbled upon a book trailer that I even became aware of the book's existence at all - and some of those serendipitous discoveries went on to become favorites of mine instead of forever remaining under my radar. 

The trailer below is in promotion of William R. Hincy's recently released paperback Without Expiration: 



Without Expiration is a collection of twelve of the author's short stories. I have not read the stories, but they appear to share the theme that personal mistakes do not come with expiration dates and that all of us are flawed - it's only a matter of degree - in one way or another. Or as the trailer puts it, "Are we bad people who sometimes do good things, or good people who do bad things?" 

And, in the long run, does it much matter?

William R. Hincy is a Los Angeles area writer whose work is described this way on his Amazon.com author's page: "...Hincy aspires to use literature to connect society on an emotional level through characters who no longer create messes but have instead become the mess." That may be a little too dark for some, but as a fan of noir fiction, I find it intriguing. 

And it all started with a book trailer.

11 comments:

  1. "Are we bad people who sometimes do good things, or good people who do bad things?"

    What an interesting question. I think the latter, but feel it's also quite possible that there are two types of human covering both those possibilities. But then there are the rare people I've known who seem 'all good'. I don't think I've known anyone I thought was completely evil but I'm sure others have and suspect the police would probably confirm that. Hmmm, I think I need to find a book about this as it's incredibly interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make you think and wonder, Cath. I'm pretty sure I've worked with a handful of sociopaths over the years based on several years of closely observing them. I actually worked for two of them...and I would put them in the Evil doing good only rarely category.

      Delete
    2. Cath, if you'd like a free copy of Without Expiration, send me a note on the contact form at williamrhincy.com and say that you heard about it here, and I'll get a copy out your way. :)

      Delete
    3. Forgot to say, same for you, Sam. If you'd like a copy, just drop me a line at the email of this comment. Thanks again for the thoughtful post.

      Delete
    4. Thanks for your kind offer of a copy of the stories. I'll get back to you at the email address.

      Delete
    5. William, I would absolutely love a copy but I'm in England and I know postage to the UK from the USA is expensive. I'll go to the website and contact you but will completely understand if you would prefer to pass on sending me a copy of your book. Thank you for the offer.

      Delete
    6. Cath, I just saw your email and replied. No worries about the UK shipping. My goal is to connect with others through literature, and I'm honored you're interested in giving it a read.

      Delete
    7. Sam, sounds great. I hope to hear from you. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you like the trailer. Film14 does a really fantastic job. I often find myself perusing their site to find my next read; I highly recommend it to everyone.

    And thanks for posting the main question of Without Expiration. Although I tend to favor the notion that the best fiction is the unanswered question, I think think the categorization of people as "good" or "bad" is misguided. We are flawed, and I wanted the stories to (hopefully) find humanity in our failings and darkest moments. Although I do agree with you and the commenters that there are certainly people that fall into the extremes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. We are all flawed in one way or the other, but I do believe that most of us do the best that we can with what we have inside us. The older I get, the more I understand how to separate what really matters in this world from the things that don't. Good luck with the book; I hope it does really well for you.

      Delete
    2. Well put. 100% agree. And thanks again for the well wishes.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.