Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Movies for Readers: A Hologram for the King

This week's Movie for Readers is called A Hologram for the King and is based on a Dave Eggers 2012 novel of the same name that was a National Book Award Finalist.  It stars the always likable Tom Hanks, Alexander Black, Sarita Choudhury, and Ben Whishaw.  The movie will be released on April 22.  

I have to tell you that the movie seems to have become the target of Saudis all over the world who claim that it is an unfair representation of their country.  I also have to tell you that I doubt that a National Book Award Finalist book would be subject to the same charges unless perhaps the book were a deliberate farce or satire that offended those searching for a reason to be offended.  I have not read the book, so I can't speak to how closely the movie script follows the plot of the novel, but I'm definitely interested now in seeing the movie so that I can judge for myself whether the unhappy Saudis have a real gripe, or are simply embarrassed about certain aspects of their culture and country being exposed via a more liberal point of view than their own.  We'll see.





Too, I also plan to find a copy of the  Dave Eggers novel for my TBR stack, so this is a twofer.  

Movies for Readers No. 23

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.