Thursday, March 24, 2016

Movies for Readers: Coraline

This week's Movie for Readers is based on the 2002 children's novel by Neil Gaiman.  The 176-page book was marketed as suitable for readers between the ages of 9 and 12, but I suspect that it might be a little too spooky for kids on the low end of that scale.  

The movie was released in February 2009, so it should be relatively easy to find (I know that it's on iTunes, for instance).  It was directed by Henry Selick who also directed The Nightmare Before Christmas, and it includes, among others, the voices of Dakota Fanning, Teri Hatcher, Dawn French, and Keith Davis.  It is highly rated as being one of the more creative and innovative children's movies of its day.



If you have children of the right age, this might be a good one to enjoy with them.  And critics say this one appeals to adults as much as to children, so even if your kids are long past the targeted age group, you might enjoy this one on your own.

Movies for Readers No. 22

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Interesting...I somehow managed to miss both the book and the movie when they came out. Only stumbled upon the movie trailer today when I was wondering how many movies might have been made from Neil Gaiman books.

      Delete
  2. Funny, we actually have this film in our house right now (from the library). My older daughter found it too frightening when she was younger, refused to watch it for the longest time. The aspect of the other-mother is decidedly creepy. I've read the graphic novel version and it was quite good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured it might be a little too spooky for younger kids when I saw that scene where Coraline realizes that the woman in the kitchen is not really her mother. The director seems to be drawn to scripts with that tone.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.