Tuesday, July 03, 2012

On Comment Spam

Typical Spammer
I tried.  I really did.

I hate having to type in all those little characters before some site will accept my comment as one being sent by a living, breathing human being rather than some ignorant jackass spammer.  I hate it as much as the rest of you, believe me.  It sometimes takes me two or three tries to get all the characters right and I have been known to give up in frustration.  So I do get it.

I've been experimenting here on Book Chase by removing that requirement.  I expected more spam but I knew that the Blogger's spam-blocker works pretty well, so I thought it might be doable. And it was for a few days.  Then, what had been a spam-trickle, turned into a spam-stream, and finally into a roaring spam-river.  Over the last two or three days, I am averaging a spam message every 15 minutes - 24 hours a day - and it is getting worse.  I just don't have the time to monitor the flow or clean up after these fools.

So, very reluctantly, I am turning the comment filter back on.  You will once again have to prove that you have an actual human brain - unlike all the spammers out there who are definitely not human.  They barely qualify as members of the animal kingdom - and I feel bad about comparing spammers to donkeys.  I hope the donkeys will forgive me.

8 comments:

  1. Yes, I've had a filter thing ever since I got a spam attack so bad that I literally couldn't delete the spam as fast as it was coming in. Spammers are, unfortunately too human and greedy and careless and inconsiderate and many other adjectives that I cannot type.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you made it through the filter, Sherry. :-)

    Your choice of spammer descriptives is much kinder than mine, I see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure the donkeys will ( or even should) forgive you for that comparison. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had a spam attack and I don't use a filter. Watch... now I'll get hit a zillion times in a month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ryan, I hope you didn't just jinx yourself when it comes to spam. I have not had ONE new spam hit since I put the comment filter back into place. Hate it, I do, but I have to admit that it works extremely well. I hope everyone understands why it has to be this way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ryan, I hope you didn't just jinx yourself when it comes to spam. I have not had ONE new spam hit since I put the comment filter back into place. Hate it, I do, but I have to admit that it works extremely well. I hope everyone understands why it has to be this way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate Spam, too. The kind in a can, AND the kind on the internet.
    I too have had people beg me to disengage my comment filter word-requirement thing, but then instantly I get self-aggrandizing Ad-Spam. Often though when I go to delete the comments, I do not actually see them on my blog-comment area, which mystifies me. I get an email notification about the comment, but I don't SEE the comment, to delete it.
    Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cip, I think that Blogger sends out those emails even if the spam filter catches them before posting to your site. That, though, becomes a different kind of pain to deal with...

    ReplyDelete

Always happy to hear from you. Please feel free to comment on any post, no matter how old it is. I'll try to keep up.