Sunday, July 08, 2012

From Abandoned Wal-Mart to Beautiful Public Library

I am cheered by the news that the South Texas city of McAllen has a huge, new public library - in fact, at over 124,000 square feet, it is the "largest single-story library in the U.S."  And I am particularly impressed that the building is a former Wal-Mart store that is said to have been abandoned by its owners.  How cool is this, book lovers?

(I am going to share a few pictures from the architect's website under the assumption that they will welcome me spreading the word about this great project.  If that is not the case, MS&R Architects, please let me know and I will immediately remove the pictures.)





For more information, including a floor plan and list of awards won by this project, please visit the MS&R Architects website by clicking on this link.

To see larger versions of these images, just click on one of them.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully done! What a great development.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how they reused this space and turned it into a library. A great idea and one that avoided a new build altogether. I hope the community will support it by checking out many, many, many books and other things to keep those circulation numbers up!

    ReplyDelete

Always happy to hear from you. Please feel free to comment on any post, no matter how old it is. I'll try to keep up.