Thursday, February 11, 2010

Best of 2010, Update 9




I have finished, and reviewed, two more books since the last update but only one of the two enters the list (Game Change at number 5).



Top 10 after 15 entrants:

1. Cutting for Stone - Abraham Verghese (novel)
2. Man of Constant Sorrow - Ralph Stanley and Eddie Dean (biography)
3. The Opposite Field - Jesse Katz (memoir)

4. The Calligrapher's Daughter - Eugenia Kim (novel)

5. Game Change - John Heilemann and Mark Halperin (political nonfiction)
6. Homer & Langley - E.L. Doctorow - 4.0 (novel)
7. Blind Submission - Debra Ginsberg (2006 novel)
8. Goosetown: Reconstructing an Akron Neighborhood - Joyce Dyer (memoir)
9. Get Out of the Way - Daniel Dinges (novel)
10. Transfer of Power - Vince Flynn (novel)



4 comments:

  1. Sam, I would love to know how you decided to put Game Change at #5. Why not 3? Or 8?

    Also, is there any chance that you will divide your list into Fiction and Non-fiction at some point?

    JOANN

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, JoAnn, it comes down to a gut feel as much as anything else. Among other things, I rank the books according to the immediate impact they make on me and how likely I am to ever open them up again...much less re-read them. Also, the list is short and, according to my internal rules, a book is not allowed to leapfrog past a book that was ever ranked higher than it is. Another way for me to judge is by deciding which book it would bother me least to see exit the list. I know it doesn't make much sense.

    Depending on how much nonfiction I read this year, I might split the list into two later on. Right now the split is 10-5 in favor of fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your "rules" make perfect sense --- to another good-reader, that is! LOL

    The second part of my question was due to my total inability to compare fiction and non-fiction, thus being unable to list them together in a ranking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't come up with 10 nonfiction titles in 2009 that I thought deserved listing in a "Top 10." If it works out better for me in the nonfiction category this year, I will likely end up with two separate lists. It would be easy to go back to the last few lists to cull them into two honest lists, by type.

    ReplyDelete

THE PROBLEM WITH COMMENTS SEEMED TO HIT A PEAK ON SEPTEMBER 4. THERE WERE MULTIPLE REPORTS FROM ALL OVER, AND GOOGLE FINALLY PAID ATTENTION TO THE PROBLEM, SO FOR NOW, AT LEAST, IT'S PROBLEM SOLVED.