Saturday, March 07, 2009

John Cheever at Thayer - Expelled?

I've been re-reading John Cheever's first novel, The Waphsot Chronicle, over the last couple of days and I find that I'm enjoying it even more this time around. I think I'm a different reader than I was when I first read the book back in the late sixties, in that I don't take novels as literally as I used to, and that seems to be making a difference.

Anyway, Cheever is on my mind and I couldn't resist sharing this interesting clip - even though I don't know the story behind its production.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny how a book can change? I hated "Great Expectations" when I was in ninth grade, but when I read it again in college, I couldn't put it down. I thought someone must have re-written it in the interim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really true, Factotum, and it makes me wonder how many "abandoned" books I need to go back to for a second pass...

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.