Monday, April 08, 2024

What I'm Reading This Week (April 8, 2024)

 


I can hardly believe that finally, after weeks and weeks of waiting for my turn at a library copy of the 2023 Booker Prize winner, Prophet Song, is in my hands.  I even managed to make a good start on it last week, and it looks like Prophet Song is going to have been a novel worth waiting for. Right now, I don't see it moving all the way up my personal 2023 Booker ranking list to the top spot, but that's certainly still a possibility at this point. 

As for last week's reading, it's three books finished (You Can't Joke About That, Charming Billy, and Falling by Kat Timpf, Alice McDermott, and T.J. Newman, respectively) and five in progress as I start the new week:

  • Crow Talk - Eileen Garvin
  • The Plague Albert Camus
  • Many a River - Elmer Kelton
  • Prophet Song - Paul Lynch
  • A Heart Full of Headstones - Ian Rankin
For those unfamiliar with Ian Rankin's John Rebus series, A Heart Full of Headstones is book number twenty-two in a series that has been entertaining me for more than two decades now. By this point in his life, Rebus is an unhealthy ex-cop still living in Edinburgh where covid restrictions are driving him nuts. What particularly intrigues about this one is that it opens with Rebus in the dock hoping to keep himself out of prison. Rebus's problems all seem to have started when he agreed to do a favor for his old arch-nemesis, a man even more seriously ill than Rebus who has suddenly found a conscious and wants to undo a few of his past sins with a little help from John. 

Prophet Song, the 2023 Booker Prize winner, was not even published in this country until after the winner was announced (way to go, Atlantic Monthly Press), and then the library system here decided only to purchase a handful of copies...so the wait has been a long one. Prophet Song is set in modern Ireland and reminds me a bit of Orwell's 1984 (including some of the cover art I've seen on various editions of that novel). With its multi-paged single paragraphs, this one is kind of a tough read, but the prose is more straightforward than I would have expected from that style, so it all kind of balances out in the end. 

I'm only relatively near done with one of the five I'm reading right now, so I probably won't be adding anything unexpected this week as I still have those three library books on hand that I mentioned last Monday...and the clock is ticking away on those. But who knows? I certainly didn't expect Prophet Song to show up as suddenly as it did, and it was only its immediate availability that saw the Ian Rankin novel jump the TBR queue out of nowhere like it did three days ago. Anyway, here's hoping everyone has an enjoyable reading week. Let's get started. 

8 comments:

  1. I ended up DNFing two of my library books, but I've still got lots in the bag. Hope you're able to get yours finished before you have to return them to the library. Happy reading this week, Sam. :D
    (And did you get to see the total solar eclipse where you live? I went up to Idaho for the last one and it was so amazing. I wish I could have seen this one, too. But it was only partial here in Utah.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to see that you had to go the DNF route on the two books. They seem to come in multiples for me, probably because I'm just not in a good reading mood at the time more than the fault of the books, I'll bet. We didn't have a good look at the eclipse because of cloud cover but it did get pretty dark and all the street lights and solar powered lights came on. No animals moving at all for a bit, too. We had just over 94% coverage of the sun here.

      Delete
  2. Glad you finally got a copy of Prophet Song! It's questionable whether I'll be up for that one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a little tough to read due to those long paragraphs plus the fact that the author uses no quote marks for conversations, just includes them in the middle of those long paragraphs. I"m probably making it sound harder to read than it is, though, because I'm following it pretty easily as it turns out. It's kind of a scary book...especially these days.

      Delete
  3. I am glad you got a copy of Prophet Song finally, and I look forward to hearing what you think of it.

    I haven't kept up with the Ian Rankin series over the years, but I do plan to read more of the books. Also looking forward to your thoughts on The Plague by Camus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm half way through Prophet Song now and really need to get a move on because I only have a week to keep it now. The Rankin book is really kind of depressing when it comes to the Rebus character. The poor guy's health is atrocious and will not be getting any better - mostly COPD issues from his life style choices of several decades. And, lol, then there's The Plague. I'm starting to sense a gloomy theme with my reading choices here lately.

      Delete
  4. Wow you finally got a copy of Prophet Song. I'm still on the library list! But single paragraphs for multiple pages is Not good news. Is it hard to get through? I look forward to your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like I was stuck on number 4 on the list forever, and then all of a sudden it showed up. The library must have finally bought more copies, I think. Despite the lengthy paragraphs, it's surprisingly straightforward reading because the prose is so precise. I didn't even realize for a while that there are no quotation marks in the book despite it containing quite a bit of conversation. It's all buried within those long paragraphs, but it easy to follow. Lynch is a good writer.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.