Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Falling - T.J. Newman

 


Now don't get me wrong. T.J. Newman's Falling is a very well written thriller that kept me turning pages all the way to the end. The thing is, though, I was probably turning those pages for the wrong reason. I'll try to explain why.

Anyone who reads thrillers on a regular basis, and I've read dozens and dozens of them over the years, learns eventually that the hero is never going to die in a thriller like this one. (And that has to be the farthest thing from a spoiler alert I can imagine.) It just doesn't happen - even in standalone thrillers. It is so rare, in fact, that I often find myself hoping that an author somewhere has written a disaster-style thriller in which the hero actually does die and the bad guys win because I would very much admire the courage of a writer who managed to pull that off. So if any of you know of such a book, please let me know.

The beauty of Falling is Newman's creativity, the way that she sets up one seemingly impossible-to-survive scenario after the next and manages to find a way for the hero (in this case, it's airline pilot Bill Hoffman) to not only survive, but to turn the situation to his advantage. I can't even exaggerate how clever a plotter T.J. Newman is, or how fascinating it is to watch her come up with solution after solution for Bill Hoffman and everyone on board the airplane he's piloting.

I'll quote the back of the paperback edition of Falling to give you the basics:

"You just boarded a flight to New York. There are one hundred and forty-three other passengers onboard. What you don't know is that thirty minutes before the flight your pilot's family was kidnapped. For his family to live, everyone on your plane must die. The only way the family will survive is if the pilot follows his orders and crashes the plane. Enjoy the flight."

I'm not much of a fan of the kind of book blurbs you find on the first couple of pages and covers of a lot of paperbacks, but the blurbs for Falling really jumped out at me because of who they are attributed to: Lee Child, Gillian Flynn, James Patterson, Janet Evanovich, Don Winslow, Diana Gabaldon, Ian Rankin, and others. There are even numerous quotes from newspapers and journals like the Los Angeles Times, Library Journal, Booklist, Publishers Weekly, and The Guardian. And I agree with most of them. This is an excellent thriller.

 But as those airline passengers in Falling might tell you, the real surprises all come from the ride, not from the landing.

8 comments:

  1. I haven't read this one, but I did read Newman's Drowning. And it was an equally suspenseful thrill ride. And I'm trying to think if I've ever read a disaster-style thriller where the hero gets killed and the bad guys triumph. Nothing is coming to mind. Though I personally would really hate that kind of ending. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, not really believing that the hero is really very much at risk has become more and more a problem. I just don't enjoy many thrillers like I used to enjoy them.

      Delete
  2. Well, I'm certainly curious! The thing is, even though I know its impossible for the MC to survive some of the dangers the author creates--I want them to survive. It's on my list, but in a cautionary way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's kind of what I was trying to say. Thrillers have become, for me, more like reading the comic books I enjoyed as a kid than something I take very seriously anymore. They just are what they are, and I may be expecting too much from them.

      Delete
  3. If I am not mistaken T J Newman was a flight attendant? And with my fear of flying I greatly admire pilots and flight attendants and I have heard good things about this writer. But I am not sure I could read this book. And what a dilemma because we are told that family comes first and we must do everything to save our family but how can the pilot do that in this case? He really can't if the cost is 143 lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's right, Kathy, and I think her flight attendant experience shows up in this one. She left me with a better understanding, hopefully more realistic, understanding of what that job is like these days. What you say about the pilot's choice is the dilemma for sure; he desperately stalls for time in an attempt to do nothing either way before someone on the ground can figure out a solution - even while his communications are being monitored by the terrorists. It still surprises me that this is said to have been a runaway bestseller in airport bookstores.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Newman is a local author, and I recently read that she signed a contract for two more books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a very good writer. She's probably not someone I'll end up readingvery often, though, because of the subgenre she's working in. Disaster thrillers and horror novels just lose their edge for me after a while They make good escape/beech reading books, but (at least for me) only if taken in small doses with long gaps between them. I think she'd be very good at anything she tries because her complicated plots are fun to read.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.