Thursday, April 25, 2024

A Heart Full of Headstones - Ian Rankin

 


Hard as it is for me to believe, A Heart Full of Headstones is Ian Rankin's twenty-fourth John Rebus novel. I haven't read all of them, but I have read most, and by now I think I have a pretty good feel for the kind of man John Rebus is. Maybe that's why the last couple of Rebus novels have left me feeling so sad for him - this one most of all. As A Heart Full of Headstones opens, Rebus sits in a courtroom accused of a crime as serious as many of the ones he investigated in his prime as an Edinburgh cop. But just when Rebus's past seems about to be catching up with him, he throws fuel on his own funeral pyre, and jumps on top the pile all by himself. 

The bulk of A Heart Full of Headstones is spread over the immediate eight days prior to the crime Rebus is accused of having committed, and as John Rebus novels usually do, it includes multiple, simultaneous subplots. One sees Rebus's loyal friend Siobhan Clarke working on the domestic abuse case of a fellow policeman that is about to blow up in the face of the whole department. A second involves DCI Malcolm Fox's push to build a case against a cop he believes to be among the dirtiest of all those he investigated when he was working in Internal Affairs. And the third storyline finds Rebus agreeing to do a personal favor for an elderly crime boss he's battled so closely for so long that the two seem to know more about each other now than their friends and families know about them.

What none of them realize at first is that one Edinburgh cop, a man threatening to rat out his fellow cops, is at the center of all three investigations. And when they do finally realize it, it just might be too late to minimize the damage.

What I find disheartening about A Heart Full of Headstones is exactly what makes the novel so realistic. John Rebus has always considered himself to be a good cop, a man who would do just about anything to protect the innocent and ensure that the bad guys get what is coming to them. Younger policemen still see Rebus as a kind of role model for the most effective kind of policing. If a little embarrassed by that sentiment, Rebus is also maybe a little proud of that status whether he would admit it or not. But now, a man Rebus worked with for years is about to name names and tell stories to save his own hide, and John is forced to admit something to himself he doesn't really want to face...he was a bad cop, one not above lying and falsifying evidence if that's what it took to get a predatory criminal off the streets for a while. His intentions may have been the best, but now Rebus wonders if his willingness to turn a blind eye to the real corruption in the ranks made sure that he was just spinning his wheels the whole time.

Now Rebus is an old man who can barely breathe anymore, and it may just be too late for any kind of personal redemption.

Ian Rankin is one of my favorite crime writers, and John Rebus is one of my very favorite fictional crime fighters, so a new Rebus novel is always something I look forward to reading. Still, I'm sad that Rebus has ended up here after thirty-five years (24 novels from 1987-2022). The next novel in the series will be published in the U.K. in October, and I can't wait to see what's in store for Rebus. Who is he going to end up being?

9 comments:

  1. I have only read the first two books in this series, but I have quite a few more around the house (and garage). How important do you think it is to read this series in order?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read them in order myself, but I do think it would have been easier if I had done so. I don't think it's absolutely necessary, though, if you keep in mind that Rankin ages Rebus pretty much in real time in between books, so there's always something going on in his personal life and health that change, especially when you look backward at the novels. Much like real life, I suppose.

      Delete
  2. I've read many in this series, but none in several years. A Heart Full of Headstones does sound both realistic and sad. I'm not surprised that Rebus is facing some serious reevaluation of himself and of his role over the years. He's been at it a long time. Rankin has been at it a long time as well, but he's still relatively young, do you think he's going to finish the series in the next book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to wonder about that. Rebus is definitely near the end of his involvement in the kind of lifestyle he's lived for decades - if not near the end of life, period. His COPD is really starting to take its toll now. This one ended in enough of an ambiguous way that I'm not sure what he's up to, only that he's just reached a major crossroad in the rest of his life, and that none of the choices seem particularly promising. It's all getting really dark.

      Delete
  3. Just reading your review makes me feel bad for John Rebus. It may be realistic, but I don't love it when authors put their main characters in such hopeless and sad situations. There should always be hope for personal redemption. But after 24 books, maybe Rankin felt like this was all that was left to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personal redemption is, I think, exactly what Rebus is craving. I wonder if he is about to name names and take down all of those corrupt cops he worked with over the years - or if he's going to do something darker.

      Delete
  4. So this is Rankin's way of ending the series conclusively? I have only read the first book but I think it was too dark for me, although I had hoped I would live it. Maybe I should try again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't like the early books nearly as much as I've enjoyed the later ones. I've read the first five, than a bunch in the middle years, and each of the last six. What I most enjoy about a series like this one is when the main characters all age in "real time." James Lee Burke's Robicheaux series and Michael Connely's Bosch books are favorites for the same reason. I started reading all of them when I was much younger, pretty much the age of the main characters, and as I aged it was kind of intriguing to see how these three "tough guys" were handling the same process.

      Delete
    2. I don't know if the late 2024 book is going to turn out to be the end of the series, but at the very least, it looks like Rebus is going to become a secondary character. I hope not, but Rankin seems to have Rebus in a very dark place right now, and I'm not sure that he can find his way out of it.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.