Monday, February 26, 2024

What I'm Reading This Week (February 26, 2024)

 


I finished three books last week, but the real highlight of the week for me was the way a fourth one so unexpectedly absorbed almost all the reading time I had left over. Finished up were Study for Obedience, The Blues Brothers, and American Spirits, three books with very little in common, and the one that grabbed me and wouldn't let go was Deanna Raybourn's Killers of a Certain Age.

I'm about seventy-five percent through Killers of a Certain Age now, so that one will almost definitely be finished up in the next couple of days. In addition, I'm also nearly done with Tommy Orange's There There and well into the short story collection Nineteen Claws and a Black Bird, Hitchcock's Blondes, and the Perry Mason classic, The Case of the Empty Tin. 

And there are the ones that I've just scratched the surface of or plan/hope to start soon:

The only Michael Cunningham novel I've read is The Hours, but I was so impressed by that one that Cunningham's name on a book still grabs my attention. Day is Cunningham's latest, and although I've only read the first twenty pages or so, I'm intrigued by its premise. The novel checks in with one family on three specific days: April 5, 2019; April 5, 2020; and April 5, 2021. In effect, Day is a story about how different the family was one year prior to COVID-19 compared to how it is one year after the worst of COVID-19 is behind us. 

How to Build a Boat is one of the last two 2023 Booker Prize nominees that I'm still waiting for, and it's finally arrived at my library branch. This is an Irish coming-of-age novel about a boy with a dream that he believes will change his life forever. The boy, whose mother died when he was born, is another of those obvious outsiders who attract bullies for their entire lives. He comes to the attention of two teachers who want to help him through his troubles, but each of them have troubles of their own, so maybe before it's all over the boy will end up helping them as much as they help him.

I'm running out of library-time for The Only Good Indians, so it really needs to happen for me soon. Native American author Stephen Graham Jones is a multi-award winner, so I have high hopes that this one is better than its jacket flap makes it sound. I'm not really into "horror" anymore, so the description puts me off a bit: "Seamlessly blending classic horror and a dramatic narrative with sharp social commentary, The Only Good Indians follows four American Indian men after a disturbing event from their youth puts them in a desperate struggle for their lives. Tracked by an entity bent on retribution, these childhood friends are helpless as the culture and tradition they left behind catch up to them in a violent, vengeful way." We'll see.

Others starting to make their presence felt are these four which are all being published in the next four to fifteen weeks (shown here in order of publication):






I've freed up a little reading time by deciding to take a pass on The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency because I realize now that the HBO series I watched a few weeks ago is almost entirely based on this first novel in the series. The scripts greatly expand on the several mysteries cleared up by Mma Ramotswe in the book, so I already know "who did it." I've also returned Agatha Christie's The Murder of Roger Ackroyd to the library in favor of reading one of the Christie novels already sitting on my own shelves. That gives me the space to take a flyer on any wildcard that catches my eye later this week.

Happy reading, everyone...we've had genuine spring weather here for the last few days, and that means that my reading hours are shrinking in direct proportion to the rise in temperature. But that's kind of a nice problem to have for a change.

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're enjoying Killers of a Certain Age. That one was fun. 'Day' sounds like a 'very' intriguing title, be interested to hear what you make of that. Crow Talk and The Coast Road have covers that attract me so I'll have a look at those on Goodreads. Spring is rapidly approaching here too, evenings getting a bit lighter, spring flowers coming out. Still chilly though and we had yet another storm last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Fun" is exactly what Killers of a Certain Age is, Cath. I've gotten into the habit of counting deaths in the crime fiction I read, and my unofficial count so far for this one is fourteen. Despite that, this, for me, is a "feel good" novel. lol

      The Coast Road is an Irish novel that's coming out in June over here, but maybe it's already published where you are?

      Delete
  2. Killers of a Certain Age is one that I want to read. It sounds funny. And I really liked Cunningham's The Hours; I didn't know he had a new book out. I like the idea of it...so that's going on my list. :D Happy reading all of these, Sam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love Killers of a Certain Age, Lark. Those four "elderly" ladies make one heck of a team. I've just started the Cunningham book, really, and I'm finding it surprisingly easy to read. I sort of remember struggling more with the prose in The Hours than I am with this one

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed Killers of a Certain Age, although I thought Billie had a more distinct personality than the other three. But they all grew on me as the book went on.

    I have How to Solve Your Own Murder coming up soon. My book group read The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency when it was newish and I enjoyed it but felt it was a one note; did not feel the need to read any more in the series. I did try another of his books set in Edinburgh but it didn't hold my interest enough to get past the first chapter.

    Re Bookers, I thought you would be amused that a week or two ago, I was trying to delete emails I didn't have time for when one from a bookstore only 35 minutes away caught my eye. "Come hear Booker winner Paul Lynch, author of Prophet Song, in conversation with NPR host Robin Young." I thought, hmm, that sounds fun, and checked my calendar, tried to figure out if I should take public transportation from work or go home to get my car. I emailed a friend and invited her to go with me. Five minutes later I saw a subsequent email that said the event was at capacity and do not try to come without a confirmed RSVP! Oh well! I punished myself for not reading my email faster by going to the gym that night instead.

    Constance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Billie, as narrator, really does have the most distinctive personality, but I suppose that kind of comes with the territory. I'm like you in that the other three (and the two partners involved) all eventually came to life for me. I really like this one.

      I'll be curious to hear what you think of How to Solve Your Own Murder. The hook in that one grabbed my attention as soon as I read the blurb about it, and I'm looking forward to it.

      Oh, wow, it's a real shame about missing out on the Lynch appearance, especially since it was so close to you. I can't keep up with all the email I get anymore and always wonder what I'm missing, but I haven't missed anything quite that disappointing so far (I hope). It's usually more a case of having missed out on a really good book sale that ended before I noticed that it had started.

      I STILL haven't gotten my hands on The Prophet. It's ironic that it will turn out to be the very last of the 2023 Booker nominees that I get to spend some time with. I still think his publisher really dropped the ball by not publishing it in the US until after the prize was awarded.

      Delete
  4. Interesting pile of reads. The Raybourn is my top choice though I don’t seem to find any.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad that Killers of a Certain Age grabbed you so much and hope that you liked the ending. I remember being really enthused about the book but cannot remember specifics about how it ended.

    Based on your description, the premise of Day by Michael Cunningham sounds like it could be good. I will put it on a list to check for at the book sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished my first draft of a review of Killers, and really wish now that Raybourn would write a sequel at some point. That's why I liked the way that it ended so much...left the possibility of a sequel very much open. I'm about 30% of the way through Day now, and still finding it little hard to get very deep into the characters'; it's I think more a prose style problem for me than that the characters are not well developed.

      Delete
  6. I'm warming to the idea of reading Day. Let me know if you think it's good. I look forward to your review. I'm a bit on the fence but I could go there I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At 80 pages in, I'm not finding it to be all that exceptional yet, but the characters are starting to seem more and more real as I progress, so I'm still hoping that Day turns out to be really good.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.