Monday, February 12, 2024

What I'm Reading This Week (February 12, 2024)

 


My past reading week would best be described as one in which I made some steady progress while beginning a couple of new books that I'm finding it really difficult to pin down. I finished three books again, and seem to be pretty much settled into that pace (probably just jinxed that though): My Side of the River, The Chatham School Affair, and Writing to Learn. I will share my thoughts on Writing to Learn in a few days, but I do want to say that despite a few reservations about Zinssler's style, the book has already changed the way that I read - and surprisingly, despite the extra effort required to do it Zinssler's way, I don't think my reading pace has slowed significantly at all.

I'm finally on the verge of finishing the two longest books I've been reading, being almost 450 pages into Larry McMurtry: A Life and about 300 pages into The Blues Brothers: An Epic Friendship, the Rise of Improv, and the Making of an American Film Classic. I'm also well into Ex-Libris: 100 Books to Read and Reread, and I've begun more new books at the same time than I have in a long time. Unfortunately, the additions have come at the expense of me last week not picking up That Affair Next Door and What to Read and Why. Both of those are on my own shelves, and shelf-books are always the ones easiest to table for a while when others with due dates and/or promises attached come along.

I'm a big fan of short story compilations, and seldom has a collection of stories by a single writer disturbed me as much as Nineteen Claws and a Black Bird by Argentinian author Agustina Bazterrica. I've read four of the twenty stories now, and I've found three of them to be rather disturbing, one so much so that I don't even know how I would ever discuss it in public and manage to remain in good taste while doing so. Bazterrica is a powerful writer, and I'm really wondering now what's ahead in the final sixteen stories.

Sarah Bernstein's Study for Obedience is my eleventh of the thirteen 2023 Booker Prize nominees, and it's another book that still has me stumped. The book's narrator has to be the most passive character I've ever read about, bar none, and as such, she is irritating the heck out of me. I have no idea where this story is heading, but one-quarter of the way through I'm ready to strangle the narrator and her entire family just to stop the pain the rest of them inflict on her. Just can't decide which I'd strangle first. To say that I see why the Booker judges ever chose this one would be a lie at this point, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. 

I hadn't realized before beginning Galway Confidential just how much I've been missing Irish author Ken Bruen. Those of you familiar with his writing, already know that Bruen is just different from most crime writers. His style is very minimalistic, even to the appearance of his printed pages, with some pages consisting largely of a list of thoughts, other containing a single word, and most being dominated by dialogue only occasionally augmented by descriptive passages. Bruen's novels, too, are among the saddest and the funniest ones I've ever read, especially now that series narrator Jack Taylor is an old man in despair, who just keeps on ticking despite his self-destructive behavior. I love this series way more than most.

I grew up watching Perry Mason on TV and reading Earle Stanley Gardner's Perry Mason legal thrillers, but it's been a while since I've read one of the books. The Case of the Empty Tin looked like a good one to reacquaint myself with Gardner's style, and though I've only read its first chapter, I'm not at all disappointed, finding that the book holds up pretty well to my pleasant memories from back in the day - and in comparison to the imitators who followed Gardner's tremendous success.

I'm a fan of Tom Clavin's books from way back, so this one about the Dalton Gang of outlaws that plagued portions of the country right up until they met their fate in Kansas in 1892 intrigues me. It's kind of mind-boggling to me to believe that men on horseback were still robbing banks at that late date, but the Daltons were still at it right up until the day in Coffeyville, Kansas, when four of the five gang members were killed in an epic gunfight outside the bank there. Unbelievably, in 1931, the gang's one survivor, Emmett Dalton, who himself sustained 23 gunshot wounds during all the shooting, came back to Coffeeville as an honored guest speaker.

Among the most likely books up next, are these:






Anyway, that's the plan. What really happens remains to be seen. 

Happy Reading Week to all! Thanks for your input and for sharing your thoughts about your own reading discoveries. 

12 comments:

  1. Your comments about Study for Obedience made me laugh. Susan (The Cue Card) is the only one I know who's read this one and, between the two of you, I'm pretty sure the book is not for me. Will reserve judgment pending your final thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't picked it up again, JoAnn, but I really do need to get to it soon because people are waiting on their turn still. It's a really strange set of characters so far...each of them being equally detestable the way they are.

      Delete
  2. My dad was a big fan of Perry Mason...both on TV and the books. I've yet to read an Erle Stanly Gardner mystery, but I feel like I should. And I'm sorry the narrator of Study For Obedience is so irritating. The dead bird on the cover alone makes me not want to read it, though I know you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still remember all of those characters really clearly, Lark. For me they turned out to be my "Hardy Boy" books, a series I never could get into as a kid. I think I have always been a cynic, even as a kid, and Erle Stanley Gardner's books just felt right to me.

      Delete
  3. You have made me curious about Nineteen Claws and a Black Bird and Writing to Learn. I will look into them more.

    I enjoyed your description of the character that irritates you. I have the same problem with the book I am reading right now, but I don't want to give up on it so I keep hoping that it won't last throughout the entire book.

    We watched all the Perry Mason TV shows (original version anyway) in the last two or three years, and now we plan to watch the TV movies. I want to read more of the books also. I have several in ebook format, and some in paperbacks but some of those are hard to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nineteen Claws seems to have settled down a bit now that I'm deeper into it. I guess she was going for shock value right up front, but I don't think I would have read 20 stories like those first two, so I'm glad she's lightened up a bit. I'll post a review of Writing to Learn on Thursday.

      I haven't begun chapter three yet, but I sincerely hope that the woman narrator wakes up at some point, because I'm finding it impossible to feel sorry for her at all.

      Are the television movies you mention the ones on HBO/Max right now. There's at least one season there and I've watched the first episode only to find that the Perry Mason they portray is nothing like the one I remember. Sort of an origin-series, I think.

      Delete
    2. The Perry Mason series we watched was aired from 1957-1966. There were 9 seasons and some of the earlier seasons had 30-40 episodes per season. And a good number of the earlier episodes were based on the books, although they usually would cut some of the story because the shows were like 50 minutes. We bought a lot of the seasons on DVD, and watched some on Freevee (and maybe at one time on Paramount, but then it was not available there).

      The TV movies that also starred Raymond Burr were aired from 1985-1995ish and we have only watched one of those. We bought those on DVD also, because it will take us a while to get through them.

      Delete
    3. I've started watching the 1957 series and can't believe how comfortable the shows feel to me. I don't remember much at all about the plots, but the characters are very firmly set in my mind. I was happy to see that I remembered them from the TV shows so accurately. I'm going to look for the Raymond Burr movies you mention. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Perry Mason was such a favourite of yesteryear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really was, Mystica. I can't believe how well I remember those old shows, the characters, and the actors who portrayed them. Really made an impression on me.

      Delete
  5. The rest of Study for Obedience will be the same for you. It doesn't change much. Just a bit weirder. The Booker judges might have been smoking some weed perhaps. I'm still on the library wait list (#142) for Prophet Song. I heard it's good but not the ending. Hmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no...didn't want to hear that about Study for Obedience. lol I'm starting to wonder if it's even worth the effort. I'm number 12 on my wait list for Prophet Song, but since I started out at number 20 just after Thanksgiving, I'm still not convinced I'll ever get my hands on a copy.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.