Saturday, January 05, 2013

Best Book Covers of 2012

One last look at 2012.

I firmly believe that "you can tell a lot about a book by its cover," so here are my favorite dozen book covers from the 134 books I read during the past year:













What I love about these covers is that all of them, without exception, perfectly capture the tone of what's inside.  Plus, they all eye-catchers and some of them, I think, cross the line into art.  I am willing to bet that these covers actually sold a significant number of books for these authors, too.

4 comments:

  1. I loved the cover of Half-Blood Blues, too, and thought it would be the best of my year - until I read Firmin. How could I not give that prize to a cover with an actual (well, simulated actual?) bite out of the side?
    http://www.exurbanis.com/archives/7192#firmin

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all..... 134 books?
    Sam, you are amazing. I read only 38... I've been like molasses in January.
    My favorites of these covers is the Goolrick, the Rogan, and the Ackroyd. I could see myself leaving a store with them, attracted by such perfect covers.
    Cheers!
    -- Cip

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like the cover of "Firmin," Debbie...thanks for sharing that one. The cover alone is almost enough to get me to read the book, or at least stop in my tracks and take a long, hard look at it. That's what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Cip. It's amazing how the pages add up if you just maintain a steady pace. 38 is way above average, too, bud, so don't short change your accomplishment.

    My personal favorite is the Half-Blood Blues cover because it so neatly ties together my love of old vinyl and books. I can NEVER resist a book cover that features a throwback record label like that one.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.