Tuesday, July 03, 2012

On Comment Spam

Typical Spammer
I tried.  I really did.

I hate having to type in all those little characters before some site will accept my comment as one being sent by a living, breathing human being rather than some ignorant jackass spammer.  I hate it as much as the rest of you, believe me.  It sometimes takes me two or three tries to get all the characters right and I have been known to give up in frustration.  So I do get it.

I've been experimenting here on Book Chase by removing that requirement.  I expected more spam but I knew that the Blogger's spam-blocker works pretty well, so I thought it might be doable. And it was for a few days.  Then, what had been a spam-trickle, turned into a spam-stream, and finally into a roaring spam-river.  Over the last two or three days, I am averaging a spam message every 15 minutes - 24 hours a day - and it is getting worse.  I just don't have the time to monitor the flow or clean up after these fools.

So, very reluctantly, I am turning the comment filter back on.  You will once again have to prove that you have an actual human brain - unlike all the spammers out there who are definitely not human.  They barely qualify as members of the animal kingdom - and I feel bad about comparing spammers to donkeys.  I hope the donkeys will forgive me.

8 comments:

  1. Yes, I've had a filter thing ever since I got a spam attack so bad that I literally couldn't delete the spam as fast as it was coming in. Spammers are, unfortunately too human and greedy and careless and inconsiderate and many other adjectives that I cannot type.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you made it through the filter, Sherry. :-)

    Your choice of spammer descriptives is much kinder than mine, I see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure the donkeys will ( or even should) forgive you for that comparison. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had a spam attack and I don't use a filter. Watch... now I'll get hit a zillion times in a month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ryan, I hope you didn't just jinx yourself when it comes to spam. I have not had ONE new spam hit since I put the comment filter back into place. Hate it, I do, but I have to admit that it works extremely well. I hope everyone understands why it has to be this way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ryan, I hope you didn't just jinx yourself when it comes to spam. I have not had ONE new spam hit since I put the comment filter back into place. Hate it, I do, but I have to admit that it works extremely well. I hope everyone understands why it has to be this way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate Spam, too. The kind in a can, AND the kind on the internet.
    I too have had people beg me to disengage my comment filter word-requirement thing, but then instantly I get self-aggrandizing Ad-Spam. Often though when I go to delete the comments, I do not actually see them on my blog-comment area, which mystifies me. I get an email notification about the comment, but I don't SEE the comment, to delete it.
    Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cip, I think that Blogger sends out those emails even if the spam filter catches them before posting to your site. That, though, becomes a different kind of pain to deal with...

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.