Friday, February 12, 2010

Tell Me It's Not True, U.K. Readers

From guardian.co.uk comes detail regarding the most popular books and most "borrowed" authors from U.K. libraries during the period July 2008 - July 2009. I'm not picking on U.K. readers -because I suspect that the results would be similar (or worse, if that's possible) here in the U.S. - but this is sad:
The top three adult authors for July 2008-June 2009 were all Americans: the thriller writer James ­Patterson, followed by the romantic novelists Nora Roberts and Danielle Steele.
You read that correctly: 1. James Patterson, 2. Nora Roberts, 3. Danielle Steele

I don't begrudge those folks their sales and popularity (well, yes, I am repelled by Patterson's business model through which he slaps his name on dozens of books a year that are largely written by other writers) but it is a bit disheartening to see them atop a list of ALL writers whose works are housed in U.K. libraries.

On the other hand, read on, U.K., because I suppose that reading these guys is better than reading nothing at all.

Follow the link at the beginning of this post to see a list of the Top 250 books borrowed from U.K. libraries. You will find that three of the top four are Patterson titles and that he even wrote one of them all by himself. What a guy.

10 comments:

  1. Patterson's shenanigans disgust me too. Like you said, what a guy. He is not a writer, he is a brand name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If he's not careful he will become a "verb" in addition to being a brand.

    As in: The author Pattersoned 28 books in 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If asked prior to seeing your post, I would have guessed that at least one of the top authors would be a UK author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How funny, Sam. Love the idea of his name becoming a verb! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was surprised, Library Girl, but even more, I was disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenclair, I wish I could find a way to Patterson the work stacking up on my desk right now...been out sick for four days and dreading what will be there when I get back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugg, I can assure you as a Brit and a regular library user, I have never borrowed any books by these American writers. I would rather Alice Hoffman and Truman Capote. I suppose I must be the only eclectic reader in England.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vivienne, thanks for making my day. I lived in Twickenham for several years and never borrowed a book by those three either...we have that in common.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too much Masterpiece Theater, Ms. Bybee. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.