Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Arthur C. Clarke Is Dead at 90

I just heard that Arthur C. Clarke has died in Sri Lanka at age 90. Mr. Clarke is said to have developed breathing problems that turned into a full blown "cardio-respiratory attack."

Arthur C. Clarke was one of the mainstays of my teen reading years, several of which I spent reading science fiction almost exclusively. He was one of the great thinkers in his field and he will be long remembered for his contributions to the genre. For me he will always be one of the "Big Three" sci-fi writers, the guys who set my imagination on fire and had a lot to do with getting me started on a lifetime of reading: Isaac Asimov, Robert A. Heinlen, and Arthur C. Clarke.

YouTube states that it has been asked not to enable this video for direct embedding within other websites. But if you would like to hear from Mr. Clarke on the occasion of his ninetieth birthday, just click the link and watch it on the YouTube site.

6 comments:

  1. I quite agree with the triumvirate you specified - Clark, Asimov, and Heinlein. I like specific works from each of the three.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is sad... I did not know of it till now.
    I always find it sad when authors pass on, I really do.
    I do not at all look forward to the day when I hear of my current favorite author [Jose Saramago].... well, no I don't even want to say it. Mr. Saramago is about 85 years old or thereabouts. And I want him to live until at least 150.
    I really liked Clarke's [1953] book, Childhood's End.
    "We must endure their going hence...."

    ReplyDelete
  3. He surely will be missed, Heather. I hate to say how long it's been since I've read something of his but he was definitely an influence on my love of reading, something I will always remember the man for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill, they were my personal "big three" of that genre and they always will be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cip, it's really tough to see the great ones go but they, in one sense, are the lucky ones. They will leave behind such a great legacy that their names will live forever.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.