Jenclair at A Garden Carried in the Pocket tagged me for the "8 Things" meme. This is a first for me, but here goes:
The rules -
1: Each player starts with 8 random facts/habits about themselves.
2: People who are tagged, write a blog post about their own 8 random things, and post these rules.
3: At the end of your post you need to tag 8 people and include their names.
4: Don't forget to leave them a comment and tell them they're tagged, and to read your blog.
1. I was born and raised in Texas but, by a large majority, my cousins live on the east side of the Sabine River (in southwest Louisiana) and are very much Cajun by heritage and habit.
2. I was in the Algerian Sahara Desert on 9-11-01 and found out about what happened in NYC that day from an Arab employee who was crying as he broke the news to me.
3. I am a huge fan of what I consider to be "real" country music and have a collection that includes probably every song recorded by Hank Williams, more than 300 different recordings from George Jones, and close to 300 each from Johnny Cash and Merle Haggard. The collection totals over 22,000 country songs in all.
4. The Civil War intrigues me and I am a member of a Houston Civil War Round Table group that meets once a month.
5. I was an officer of the Houston Astros booster club in the '80s and met many of my childhood baseball heroes as they came through Houston for old timers games or to speak at our monthly meetings.
6. Until my left knee eventually forced me to quit running, I was a dedicated runner and I completed marathons in several different states from 1979 to 1994.
7. I worked in the oil industry for over three decades despite having returned to college to complete my degree only after surviving two refinery explosions in one year at a Mobil refinery in Beaumont, Texas.
8. I take politics very seriously but I've taken a personal vow to stay away from political arguments on the internet after finding out that death threats tend to bother me.
This is a great way to get to know one another a little better, so I'm going to tag the following folks and we'll see what happens:
Matt at A Variety of Words
Amanda at The Blog Jar
John at The Book Mine Set
Cip at bookpuddle
Sharon at Ex Libris
Dewey at The Hidden Side of a Leaf
Joy at Thoughts of Joy
J.S. Peyton at BiblioAddict
I'm off to alert the chosen eight, and hoping that they have not already been tagged for this one.