Monday, May 21, 2007

Crazy Random Meme Redux

Dew over at The Hidden Side of a Leaf has tagged me in the "Page 161" meme and that's kind of cool because I just picked up a new book this afternoon and it was sitting in my lap when I saw her new tag. I was in my local Kroger this morning on an emergency run for a dozen eggs and some buttermilk (my wife was baking and came up short of both items) and I happened to go down the magazine/book aisle of the store. Well, of course, "happened to" is not accurate; I always take that path when I'm in the store no matter toward which aisle I'm ultimately headed.

This time a new hardcover book caught my eye primarily because its cover looked so familiar. Turns out that it is by the author of The Kite Runner and this new one, A Thousand Splendid Suns, has a very similar cover. My errand didn't leave me with much spare time but the book was marked 25% off so I took a chance on it. I've taken a closer look at it now, and it appears to be something that I'll really like.

So...here's the fateful fifth full sentence from page 161:
"This was the first time that someone whom Laila had known, been close to, loved, had died."
That quote becomes more meaningful when taken in the context of the book, a novelization of the last 30 years of Afghanistan history as seen through the eyes of two generations of a simple Afghan family. I'm not sure when this one will work its way to the top of my TBR list, but I'm confident that this is a good one.

3 comments:

  1. I liked that book. Didn't LOVE it, but liked it. But let's move on to the important stuff. What did your wife bake? And can I have some?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And by "that book" I meant The Kite Runner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She baked a huge chocolate cake using my favorite recipe...great stuff, but damn, I need to get more exercise if I'm going to eat like this. I was "retired" from my job two months ago and I still haven't found a regular exercise program. I lost all my old routines and haven't replaced some of them yet.

    ReplyDelete

Always happy to hear from you. Please feel free to comment on any post, no matter how old it is. I'll try to keep up.