Thursday, September 30, 2021

The Book Chase October 2021 Reading Plan

I started gathering books in preparation for my October reading plan a couple of days ago, and ended up with eleven strong possibilities for the next four weeks, a bunch of books I really want to read soon. Then today, I dropped by the library to return The Reading List and to pick-up the new Craig Johnson Longmire novel only to walk out of the building with five other books also in my hands. Luckily, I'm able to keep a few of the books well into November because there is no way that I'm going to read anything near sixteen books in October (I don't recall reading more than twelve in a single month - ever). 

Here are the most likely ones to get read and reviewed first:


I'm carrying this one forward from September, and I'll likely finish it in the next day or two. It's the travel memoir of a young Brit who decides to take a several-months-long road trip through "small-town America," beginning the trip with a male friend who ends up having to leave the road early and finishing it alongside his English girlfriend. I'm particularly enjoying the portion of the trip that happens in the American West, but still shaking my head a little at all the things Mr. Mahood manages just barely to miss.

I came across What Lies Between Us in a list of 2021 award-winners from the International Thrillers Writers. The novel won "Best Paperback Original. This one has a strange premise: "Every other night, Maggie and Nina have dinner together. When they are finished, Nina helps Maggie back to her room in the attic, and into the heavy chain that keeps her there. Because Maggie has done things to Nina that can't ever be forgiven, and now she's paying the price." I'm 62 pages in...and loving it so far. 

Mieko Kawakami is a new writer to me, but after reading Diane's review over on Bibliophile by the Sea, I knew it was something I wanted to read. This one is a coming-of-age novel set in a Japanese school and tells the story of a boy and a girl who become friends there largely because each of them are so terribly bullied by their peers. I've read about thirty pages so far, and the bullying described is really heartbreaking. I'm not sure where it's headed, but Diane describes it as a novel with "deep" and "complicated" characters, so I expect to like (if not exactly enjoy) this one.

I'm consciously trying to read more of the mid-twentieth century fiction that I've missed out on, and this 1947 novel by Jean Stafford is part of that quest. It is a coming-of-age novel set in California and focuses on the two youngest children in a family of four siblings, a ten-year old boy and his eight-year-old sister. The two are a little "wilder" than their older sisters. I'm a little bogged down on this one right now and have put it aside for a breather. But I'll definitely be back.


This is Craig Johnson's seventeenth Longmire novel, and since I've already read the other sixteen, I find myself a little reluctant to read it right now. Somehow, the library system allowed me to check it out this morning for six weeks, so Daughter of the Morning Star may end up slipping into my November reading. This one addresses a serious issue: "the plague of missing Native women in Indian Country." I've been reading about this for a few years and still find it hard to believe that the disappearances continue at such a horrible pace.

Diane did it to me again when she mentioned this book in a review she wrote for the second book in the series. The main character sounds like a real hoot, and because I enjoy short stories as much as I do, this one seems like a no-brainer, something I will enjoy for sure. Maud is described this way: "Maud is an irascible 88-year-old woman with no family, no friends...and no qualms about a little murder." What's not to like about a character like Maud? This should be fun.

I can thank Cathy at Kittling: Books for first bringing this one to my attention (way back in April) when she reviewed it on her blog. My memory was later triggered when I saw that the International Thrillers Writers awarded this one Best First Novel on that same list I mentioned earlier. The clincher was a quote from Craig Johnson calling the book "a testament in napalm you won't be able to put down because it burns and holds fast." It features Virgil Wounded Horse, "local enforcer" on the Rosebud Indian Reservation in South Dakota.

I've always been a Sherlock Holmes fan, but longtime fans of those tales know that there is always new Sherlock material to be enjoyed. I've not read any of Laurie R. King's Holmes-related series, so I'm jumping in with this fourteenth book in that seventeen-book series. It's a long story, but this one from 2016 finally caught my attention . From the back cover: "Mary Russell is used to dark secrets - her own, and those of her famous partner and husband, Sherlock Holmes. Trust is a thing slowly given." 

I find myself in the mood for something from the great Shirley Jackson, and this one came to mind. I watched the movie version of We Have Always Lived in the Castle several months ago and found it riveting...and memorable. I've read lots of Jackson's work, mostly the short stories, but have somehow never read this 1962 novel. It is relatively short, but the characters, two sisters, are what make this one so special. It was published only three years before Jackson's death.

I've had William Shaw's Deadland on hand for a while now, but I've been reluctant to read this third Cupidi book because I know how difficult it is to find Shaw's novels in the U.S. (Shame on Mr. Shaw's publisher for that crime.) DS Cupidi is a great crime fighter and the books are very atmospheric. She is, though, no politician, and she doesn't find it easy to be "one of the boys" or even be all that likable, when it comes right down to it. I love this cover.


I also have a small stack of books that may end up displacing some of the ones I've featured here, depending on how the reading-mood strikes me during the month. Among these are Louise Penny's The Maddening of Crowds, Denise Mina's two-volume graphic novelization of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Gerald Seymour's The Walking Dead (one I've mentioned before), Sherman Alexie's The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, and an e-ARC from T. Jefferson Parker titled A Thousand Steps. It's all a little overwhelming when I think about it...and now I can't wait to get the fun started.

22 comments:

  1. Hi Sam, I agree, An Elderly Lady is Up to No Good sounds like alot of fun. I read We Have Always Lived in The Castle maybe 15 years ago and it's a novel that stays with you. Also rarely have I seen such an unreliable narrator as Mericat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love unreliable narrators, I guess because it's so much fun to have the truth click into place piece-by-piece. I'm looking forward this one.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad I'm not the only one who walks out of the library with more books than I can possible read in one month. I have to go pick up my holds tomorrow...all sixteen of them...and if I'm very good that's all I'll bring home with me. But I'm not holding my breath. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too much eye-candy, in the form of new releases, sits right near the automatic checkout area in my library lobby. That always gets me.

      Delete
  3. I'm waiting impatiently for The Poisoned Pen to send me my autographed copy of Daughter of the Morning Star.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was on hold for a few days so I was surprised to see that I was able to get the book for six weeks. Our county system must buy a whole lot of copies of Craig Johnson's novels.

      Delete
  4. :) Several of these are on my list. However, my TBR pile is so darn lengthy at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I just keep moving them around and starting new ones. I suppose that explains why I almost always have 6-8 books going at the same time.

      Delete
  5. Winter Counts and the Elderly Lady series sound of particular interest to me. It looks as though you've got your reading "work" cut out for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really curious about both of those...high hopes for them.

      Delete
  6. The Laurie King 'Mary Russell' books are very good. I've read 5 but haven't read one for a while now, my daughter's read the lot and is a huge fan so I must get back to the series.

    We Have Always Lived in the Castle is excellent but I probably would not be tempted to watch the film as I'm not that great with scary films.

    I'll be interested to hear about An Elderly Lady Is Up To No Good if you get to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really curious about the Laurie King series, Cath. I've heard nothing but good things about the books.

      The movie version of "Castle" was really well-acted and spooky...and such a weird story. I enjoyed it in that version, and I'm wondering now what reading the book will be like already knowing the plot and outcome ahead of time. I suspect that will detract a lot from the experience.

      Delete
  7. Sam, you have a lot of interesting books here but I wanted to comment on two of them especially. I am thrilled to hear that there is a second "Elderly Lady" set of stories by Helene Tursten. I loved the first set of stories and I hope you will enjoy them too.

    I have considered reading We Have Always Lived in the Castle this month, but I may save it until November because I plan to read novellas in November. I look forward to hearing what you thing of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to that first"Elderly Lady" book and "Castle." Both are pretty short, so I'm hoping to get to them soon. The concept of such a feisty and fearless "elderly" lady makes me smile.

      Delete
  8. Lots of good books ahead, Sam. I see you have already finished Not Tonight, Josephine and it sounds like a winner to me. I loved the first book in the Elderly Lady series and am looking forward to reading the second later this month. We Have Always Lived in the Castle provided one of my most memorable reading experiences ever. I remember finishing the book during a thunderstorm on Halloween night - by candlelight! The power was out... it was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I mentioned up above, I'm really looking forward to these books, JoAnn. The movie version of "Castle" was, I thought, absolutely outstanding, from the actors all the way through the screenplay. I suspect, from what you say here, that it captured the spirit of Jackson's writing pretty well, too.

      Delete
  9. Yeah the Shirley Jackson novel is a good one .... and I usually like to read one of her books each Halloween .... so hopefully I will pick up another one this month .... She's perfect for this time of year ... Enjoy your reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I came to Shirley Jackson way too slowly, I think, but I'm glad that I finally woke up. A movie biography on her that I recently watched makes me think that she was every bit as "different" as her books and stories.

      Delete
  10. I got hooked on William Shaw's books from your recommendation. I ordered them from Book Depository in the U.K. They ship to the US and don't charge shipping. I ended up ordering from them quite a bit just to support them. Beware though some of Shaw's books have different titles in the UK than in the US. You can go to Shaw's website and get the titles and order of his books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maxine, I've never tried ordering from Book Depository despite seeing that others have had good success doing that. I wonder how in the world they can afford free shipping to the U.S.? How long does it take to get books that way?

      That multiple-title thing has caught me a couple of times in the past, especially when even the cover is drastically different in the two editions of the book. I'm more careful now, but I'm sure it will happen again more than once.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.