Thursday, September 16, 2021

Klara and the Sun - Kazuo Ishiguro


Despite all the international acclaim garnered by Kazuo Ishiguro in recent years, Klara and the Sun is my first experience with one of his novels. The immediate buzz about this one was so great that I knew I had to read it, but ended up waiting for five months for my name finally to reach the top of my library’s “hold list.” Thankfully, Klara and the Sun was worth the wait, and now I can look forward to reading more from Ishiguro, including his backlist. 


Klara and the Sun takes place at some time in the relatively near future in an unnamed country in which people seem to have splintered into communities that share certain characteristics and status levels. Those wanting to move to a new city or state first have to  find a community willing to invite them there. This is definitely a country of haves and have-nots, and the impression is that rapidly advancing technology, especially the use of artificial intelligence, has a lot to do with the economic split. 


The novel’s narrator, in fact, is a lifelike robot called Klara, who introduces herself this way to the reader in the novel’s first few sentences:


When we were new, Rosa and I were mid-store, on the magazine table side, and could see through more than half of the window. So we were able to watch the outside — the office workers hurrying by, the taxis, the runners, the tourists, Beggar Man and his dog, the lower part of the RPO Building. Once we were more settled, Manager allowed us to walk up to the front until we were right behind the window display, and then we could see how tall the RPO Building was. 


Klara and Rosa, two robotic Artificial Friends (known to the world as AFs) themselves become friends while they spend all those hours waiting to be taken home by the one teenager who will choose them off the showroom floor. They are friends, but they are not really much alike. Klara, in fact, is everything that Rosa is not: curious, thoughtful, empathetic, and observant. And she will turn out to be the perfect match for the teen girl who finally returns to purchase Klara just when the AF is beginning to think it will never happen for her.


Klara’s new human friend, Josie, is not having an easy time of it at home, but she could not have made a better choice for an AF than Klara because Klara is completely dedicated to her new role as Josie’s protector and advocate. Klara, though, must work within the limitations of her role and she sometimes, especially in the early days, allows herself to be manipulated by others who may not have Josie’s best interests in mind. Klara, though, never stops believing that better days are ahead for Josie and her family — and she never stops working to make that happen.


Bottom Line: Kazuo Ishiguro’s Klara is one of the most unforgettable characters I’ve encountered in a while. Some may argue that Klara’s selflessness and dedication to her friend Josie is only to be expected; Klara is, after all, only a well designed machine; that she has no choice but to do the things for Josie and her parents that she does. But even Manager, the woman Klara refers to in the novel’s opening paragraph, believes that Klara is special, that she is, in effect, almost human. One of the more intriguing aspects of Klara and the Sun is watching Klara figure out things for herself as she experiences more and more of the world. This is one novel I will not be forgetting…especially that ending.


Kazuo Ishiguro

16 comments:

  1. I keep saying that I need to read this - everyone I know who has read it loved it. I have the audio download so hopefully by year's end I'll get to it. Great review Sam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane. You do need to read this one in some format. The audiobook version became available to me first, so I ended up doing a split of about 30% via audiobook and 70% via e-book. It works very well either way. The audiobook narrator does a really good job in capturing the unique cadence that Klara uses, as well as the British accents of a few of the characters.

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you read and loved this. It's one of my favorite books that I've read this year and I couldn't agree with you more; Klara is an unforgettable and totally humane character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting my hands on a library copy turned into quite a chore, but I'm glad I didn't give up. I really like it.

      Delete
  3. This has been on my list for a while--thanks for renewing my interest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like it, Jen. It has a lot going for it.

      Delete
  4. I've heard lots of good things about this book. It's the character of Klara that really intrigues me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Klara is a very sympathetic character...and the ending will really get you, I'm willing to bet.

      Delete
  5. Well, you've just added another book to my list. Somehow in my twisted mind, I find it comforting to know that I shall never run out of books to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good plot idea very well executed, Cathy. I think you'll enjoy it.

      Delete
  6. I've been vaguely aware of this for some time but had no idea of the plot until I read your excellent review, Sam. I've read one novel by Ishiguro, Never Let me Go, and I have The Buried Giant on my shelves. I'll keep an eye out at the library for Klara and the Sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked up copies of The Buried Giant and The Unconsoled today at a local used-book bookstore, Cath. Not all that sure about either one, but hope to try them within a few weeks. I'm hopeful.

      Delete
  7. This is a great review, Sam. I've yet to read an Ishiguro novel, but have decided this will be the first. Hopefully I'll get to it before the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it, JoAnn. I found it different from what I expected an Ishiguro novel would be. I'm going to try another of his in a few weeks, and I hope that one works for me, too.

      Delete
  8. Oh I'm so glad you liked it as well as I did. There are many good scenes in the book, especially when Klara goes to plead with the sun in the shed or barn ... with the boy waiting outside. I loved many aspects of Klara and how she really is so dedicated to Josie. I am surprised this novel did not make the Booker Prize shortlist. Like what?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That surprises me, too...but I guess it shouldn't, really. Some of the ones that DO make that list surprise me even more because I just don't get them at all.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.