Wednesday, June 02, 2021

The Book Chase June 2021 Reading Plan

Looking back at my May 2020 reading plan, I see that I read five of the eight books I listed. I also see that I read seven other books that were not even much on my radar going into May, making me wonder if all this planning is anything more than just a jumping-off point for the upcoming month. Of the initial eight, I read: Lonesome Dove, Earthlings, The Real Cool Killers, Not Dark Yet, and Hombre. Of the other three books on that list, I'm still reading Philip Roth: The Biography, America, and (sort of reading) Under the Wave at Waimea. I plan to read America this month, but it is unlikely that I'll finish the Roth bio in June or that I'll finish Under the Wave at Waimea at all unless that one gets a whole lot better very quickly. I'm just not into the whole surfing lifestyle, and the first 60 pages have been a struggle for me. I only decided to try this one in the first place because I'm a big admirer of Paul Theroux's writing - and it's just not working yet.

These are the others I already know that I want to read in June:

I'm well into Linda Hogan's 1990 Mean Spirit already and this will probably be the first book I finish this month. Linda Hogan is a Chickasaw writer and university professor who may be primarily known as a poet. Mean Spirit is her fictionalized version of what happened to a group of Native Americans after oil was discovered under land they owned, and lived on, in Oklahoma in the early 1920s. Author David Grann told the same story in a 2017  nonfiction book titled Killers of the Flower Moon that many of you will remember. If I had not read the nonfiction version first, I would have found it difficult to believe that the things described in Mean Spirit could have happened in the 1920s.

Like Linda Hogan, up above, Sherman Alexi is also a Native American writer. The Indian Killer title of this one can be read two ways: either someone is killing Indians or there is an Indian killer out there...and in this case, it's the latter. "A serial murderer is terrorizing Seattle, hunting and scalping white men. And the crimes of the so-called Indian Killer have triggered a wave of violence and racial hatred." Alexi, too, is known as an exceptional poet, so this one is something entirely different for him. It was published in 1998.

Havana Blue is book one of Cuban author Leonardo Padura's "Four Seasons" or "Havana Quartet" (it is referred to both ways). The other three books are titled Havana Gold, Havana Red, and Havana Black. The short series has done especially well in Spain, France, Italy, and Germany and features Inspector Mario Conde. The books do not appear to have been published in the order I listed them above, so I'm assuming that the four crime novels work equally well as standalones. Havana Blue was the third of Padura's books to be made available in English.

 I am not sure how I heard about Hazel Gaynor's When We Were Young & Brave, but I'm willing to bet that it was featured on one of the book blogs I regularly read. The cover, alone, is enough to stop me in my tracks, though, and I would have to pick this one up wherever I ran across it. From the book description: "But everything changes in an instant when Japan declares war against the United States and Britain following the bombing of Pearl Harbor, and soldiers march into Nancy's school, placing it under the control of Japanese forces." I was hooked after reading that.

The Best Man to Die, published in 1969, was Ruth Rendell's fourth Inspector Wexford novel. I'm reading a paperback copy of the novel that has this cover on it, and I'm still trying to figure out the significance of the image - if there is one. The short blurb on the back says: "Who could have suspected that the exciting stag party for the groom would be a prelude to the murder of his close friend Charlie Hatton? But it was - and Charlie's death sentence was only the first in a string of puzzling murders involving small-time gangsters, cheating husbands, and loose women." 

Becoming Inspector Chen is Qiu Xialong's latest Inspector Chen novel. The series is new to me, but I know that it's a series that some of you have been enjoying for a while now. It sounds, in this one, like the inspector has reached a point in his career where his entire world might be falling apart. The book jacket description ends this way: "Has fighting for the Chinese people and the morals he believes in put him in conflict with the Party? Why is he being kept away from the new case? As well as his career, is his life now also at risk?"

The Essence of Nathan Biddle by J. William Lewis is a book being published sometime this month. I decided to give it a try, despite knowing nothing about the book or the author, when I saw it described as a "Southern Gothic-esque coming-of-age tale that unfolds on the Alabama coast in the 1950s." That sounds like a great combination to me. I just looked at the first page, and found this opening sentence: "On the first anniversary of Nathan's death, we went to the sea." Looks like a lot of flashback ahead.

I've been holding off reading James Lee Burke's Another Kind of Eden because it will not be published until August, but my will power is faltering now, and I'll probably read this one before the end of the month. The novel seems to be a rather dark look at the American West of the 1960s (most of Burke's books are dark, so that's no surprise) and "the menace and chaos that lay simmering just beneath the surface." This is a continuation of Burke's multi-book, and multi-thread, Holland family saga. I've read everything this man has ever written and he very seldom disappoints me.

So those are the nine target-books, but I also plan to make big dents in the Philip Roth biography (now that I finally have a copy with all of its pages) and the Paul Theroux novel I mentioned earlier. And who knows what will pop up out of nowhere and demand to be read in June - especially as I finish up the Great Courses lessons on Mysteries and Thrillers (only 6 of the 36 segments to go now). My TBR list has grown by leaps and bounds since I began watching those lessons.

16 comments:

  1. Now the one that appeals to me out of that selection is When We Were YOung and Brave. I'll have to look it up because it sounds like a side of WW2 that I've not read much about. Living in Europe we tend to concentrate on the European theatre of war I find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When We Were Young & Brave really does sound fascinating, doesn't it? I can't imagine finding myself in the position of being responsible for a bunch of children under those circumstances. Like you, I don't know nearly as much about the Pacific theater of WWII as I know about the European theater. My father fought in Europe, so I suppose it's natural that I've read more about that part of the war, but I did have two uncles who fought in the Pacific against the Japanese, and I really want to get a better feel for what it was like on the ground in that part of the world during the war.

      Delete
  2. I make a list of about half of the monthly norm I tend to read and that tends to work well for me. It still gives me another 50% of mood/whim reading from library or shelves. I struggled with Under the Wave of Waimea and rated it 3/5 - too long and Sharkey's last 50 years got to be a bit much for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I"m really disappointed in my reaction to the Wave of Waimea book, but I'm still struggling to even pick it up again. Your reaction doesn't give me much hope that it will get better for me because we seem to have a quite similar reading taste. Your 50-50 method is pretty close to the way it works out for me every month in the end.

      Delete
  3. You've got some good reads lined up for June! My bookish plans always seem to get sidetracked by other books. But as long as I'm reading something good, I don't really mind. When We Were Young & Brave is on my TBR list, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look forward to hearing what you think of the book, Lark. I wish I could remember who tipped me off to it by mentioning it, but I can't. You're right...life is too short to fool around with books that just don't work for you. I've abandoned 7 so far this year, and that's a little slower pace than I abandoned them at last year.

      Delete
  4. Some interesting books here. I have been meaning to check out Ruth Rendell, Sherman Alexie and Leonardo Padura. I will await your reviews! A good idea to lay out at the beginning of the month a few books you plan to read. I need to do that more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started the Sherman Alexie book yesterday afternoon, and I'm already 120 pages into it. Can't put it down. It just demands to be read...love when that happens.

      I do like the idea of having at least some idea of what I'll be reading in the new month. It gives me the feeling of a "fresh start," and I like that feeling of starting over so many times a year.

      Delete
  5. Well, you did a better job sticking to your May plan than I did! I only read one my planned reads. Guess it's still better to have a rough outline even if you don't stick to it... there's always something to fall back on that way. You have some interesting picks for June. I have a Hazel Gaynor novel waiting on my kindle and it's hard to go wrong with Ruth Rendell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will be my first experience with anything of Hazel Gaynor's, and I have high hopes for it. It just appeals to me in so many ways. The Ruth Rendell novel I'm reading was written in 1969 but it has a very old fashioned feel to me. I suppose that's because the world has changed so much, and so quickly, in the last three or four decades that it's hard to remember what life was like in the sixties.

      Delete
  6. I'm a bit in awe of my blogger friends who plan out their reading month in advance. I always have several books in my reading queue to choose from, but I never actually plan my reading in advance. I just pick whatever happens to appeal to me at the moment. Just now I have started reading Earthlings and so far I am finding it both fascinating and disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see what you end up thinking of Earthlings. I didn't react real well, or positively, to that one at all. It really caught me my surprise, and it's popularity still surprises me.

      I kind of look at my reading plan as a "suggestion" as much as anything else. Where it really helps me is with some of the older books that I want to read. If I don't remind myself that I have them all queued up and ready to be read, they tend to get overwhelmed by all the bright and shiny new books that keep catching my eye.

      Delete
  7. I never have much of a reading plan. Everything revolves around the ARCs I need to read that month. After that, Serendipity is in complete control.

    Of the books you've listed, I've read and liked Alexi's Indian Killer, and after having read and raved about Killers of the Flower Moon, I definitely want to read Hogan's Mean Spirit. Thanks for bringing that one to my attention, Sam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying Indian Killer a lot so far...definitely hooked now, and wanting to read more of Alexi's stuff. I'll be curious to see what you think of Mean Spirit. It's a very good novel, and it told a story that most would not have known at the time it was published, but I found it to be difficult reading. You know how some novels just read "slower" than others? My page-per-hour rate on Mean Spirit has to have been one of the lowest of 2021 for me, and I can't even explain why that was considering the story it told. Sometimes, an author's style just doesn't quite click for me, and this was one of those times.

      Delete
  8. I do enjoy seeing your reading plan and it is probably good that you are flexible with it.

    I might be interested in a book set on the Alabama coast of the 1950s. I grew up in Birmingham, AL and actually never visited the Alabama coast, but several years in the 50s and early 60s my family went to the Mississippi coast (Biloxi and Gulfport) for our summer vacation. My father was in the National Guard and did his annual two weeks at a base there and we rented an inexpensive place to stay on the beach. I will have to look into that book more, or wait until you review it.

    I have a copy of Havana Red in the Leonardo Padura series. I know when I bought it 8 years ago I thought it was the first book in the series. Now I will have to look for Havana Blue to read first. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I've got to check the order of the Padura series myself to be certain about it. Havana Blue was presented in the Great Courses class on Latin American Mysteries as being the first, but I haven't checked the dates to verify that order.

      I'm off to a decent start on this month's list, having finished three of the nine books on the list. But this is the point at which the plan usually starts coming apart, and that's exactly what's happened. The library has a book ready that I didn't plan on getting so soon...and I've found another book on a blog that I really want to read this month. So here we go...

      You having never visited the Alabama coast despite growing up in Birmingham reminds me of myself a bit. I grew up and lived within 75 miles of Galveston most of my life...and still do...but I can probably count on two hands the number of times I've been to the beach there. And I've never once visited the NASA site between here and Galveston at all. Funny how that works.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.