Saturday, June 13, 2020

More Books I Don't Want You to Miss , Even if I Miss Them Myself

Here are a few more books that have come to my attention in the last few days that I think are worth your consideration. I've managed to get my hands on a library copy of one of the four I highlighted back on June 2, Emily St. John Mandel's The Glass Hotel, but I haven't started reading it just yet...but the old due-date clock is ticking away on it. 

So, these are some of the books that I added to my virtual TBR list this week:



Little Eyes was published in May 2020. It's said to be a little creepy, but it is set in a world not much different from the one we are living in today. "A camera-equipped pet," a little toy has become so popular that it is in millions of homes all over the world. And those homes are being virtually spied upon by the toys. As the NYT Book Review puts it, "Owning one is like inviting a mute stranger into your home."



Nothing to See Here was published last October but I had not heard of it until this week. This one sounds a little strange, but Kevin Wilson pulls it off by creating some truly memorable characters.The New York Times apparently even labeled it as one of the best books of 2019. It's about a woman who agrees to become the nanny for her friend's unusual twins, called the "fire twins" because they "burst into flames" when they become severely agitated. She becomes their stoutest protector and forms a strong bond with the children. 

The Choice was published on June 2, so I suppose it caught my attention relatively quickly. The rather clever premise of this one is that it examines "two possible futures" for a young woman faced with a difficult choice. The man who tried to assault her falls down a flight of stairs and is still barely alive. Does she call for help and face all that will consequently follow, or does she go home and keep her mouth shut? As it turns out, neither choice leaves her with an easy life. Will she risk going to jail or will she take the "easy" way out?


The Vanishing Half 
 is another one that was published on June 2, and considering the way that race dominates the news cycle so much today, that timing couldn't be much better for its author and publisher. In this one, twin sisters take very different paths when one of them decides to pass for white and the other does not. The novel explores the pain caused by the split and how it is not limited to the sister passing for white. Those "left behind" are left with a struggle of their own. 


There you have it. Four more books I badly want to read but am unlikely ever to get to. MyTBR list getting so long now, that I can't imagine that there are any people left in the world who say they "have nothing to read." How is that even possible?


6 comments:

  1. Interesting list. I've seen some reviews of The Vanishing Half and Nothing to See Here and both caught my attention, but Little Eyes is new to me and sounds both creepy and conceivable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one has a lot of potential. I think the creepiness comes from its plausibility, and thats the scariest kind of creepiness there is.

      Delete
  2. Spied on by your toys? That's disturbing...and one I don't think I can resist. (On a side note: stop adding to my TBR list! ;D )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the way everyone is sort of reluctantly attracted to this one.

      Delete
  3. The last two are on my TBR list. I'm not interested in NOTHING TO SEE HERE and I can't decide if LITTLE EYES is one I want to read or not. It definitely sounds creepy, especially since we have Amazon Alexa devices all over our house. Are they listening in?? Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I unplugged Alexa after the incident in which someone's Alexa recorded a spousal argument and sent it to several people. I know that Alexa has to "listen" all the time for its name to be mentioned, but that opens up a whole can of worms I'd like to keep closed as tightly as possible.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.