Saturday, September 21, 2019

The Bookshop - Movies for Readers

We have both Prime and Netflix in this house, and over time I have come to appreciate how unpredictable and surprising the movies on Prime can be compared to those on Netflix. And today, it is one of those Prime movies that has made my day: The Bookshop starring Emily Mortimer, Bill Nighy, Patricia Clarkson, and Honor Kneafsey. The film is based on the supposedly well received novel of the same name by Penelope Fitzgerald (a novel I am completely unfamiliar with).

The movie had a very limited showing in the U.S in August 2018, and it is worth searching for on Prime or on disc. Just take a look at this trailer, and you will see what I mean:




Number 32 in the series "Movies for Readers"

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Jeane, one of the things I like best about it is that it is set in 1959 seaside England. I am always pleasantly surprised to find that movies like this one are still getting made.

      Delete
  2. I began this but couldn't stand that woman!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a heck of a villain, wasn't she? I was surprised by the ending of the movie...can't say anything to spoil it.

      Delete
  3. I need to look for this! I have come to really appreciate the genius of Bill Nighy. Of course, that's balanced out by the more plebian Emily Mortimer, so we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nighy was the best thing about the film, but Mortimer was believable (at least to me) in her role. It's a rather strange plot as it turns out, and I'm still not sure what I think about the movie.

      Delete
    2. I'd never heard of Nighy until I saw him in Love Actually. I had no interest in the movie until I accidentally watched the first part, and he sure captivated me. Now that I know more about his career, I can see what a change that was from his usual roles.

      Delete
  4. I just finished watching it. Sad to say, I found it hard to get through- took two sittings and I had busy work in my hands the second time. Something about the voice-over narration annoyed me and the characters- well, I just had a hard time liking most of them. The ending really threw me. I'm glad I saw it for that- but wow, so sad and yet fitting. Did anyone deserve that ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ending really caught me by surprise, too. It's not something you expect from a book or movie where the underdog is fighting the good fight all the way through the storyline. I haven't taken a look at the book; maybe I need to do that to see if I react any differently to the ending as it was written.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.