Sunday, May 12, 2019

It's Sunday, So This Must Be Barnes & Noble


In what has become my most typical Sunday of the last nine years, I paid a visit to a local Barnes & Noble bookstore this morning before heading over to my father's apartment for a visit.  Dad turned 97 at the end of April and he's still going so strong that I can easily see this being my routine for a few more years.  And that makes me happy.


At the B&N, I stopped at the first display of new books that I came to, right near the door and checkout area. I was almost immediately drawn into a conversation that was starting between a customer and the woman behind the counter because I sensed a book question on the horizon; I play that kind of book trivia game with myself when the opportunity offers itself because it's always funs to match wits with a bookstore employee.  

The question went something like this,"What's the name of that classic children's book about a bunch of kids who got tattooed and then mistreated each other?  You know, it's a classic that we all had to read in high school."  As the clerk stared blankly at her, I knew that it seemed suspiciously familiar to me and that I ought to know the answer to the question.  But it wouldn't come to me.  I couldn't, though, resist asking if that was the one where all the kids were stranded on an island, but I still couldn't conjure up the title.  Then it started to click, and I blurted out "something of the Flies?" And the customer immediately said, "Lord of the Flies" with a huge smile on her face.  The clerk could only add that she had never heard of it - and since she appeared to be in her mid-thirties I can only assume that her high school didn't require students to read that one.  But is Lord of the Flies no longer considered a classic of its type?  Come on.

But the strangest thing of all is that after I continued down the aisle and stopped at a table down the way, what was in the center of the display other than The Lord of the Flies?  I picked it up and waved it at the customer - and sold her a copy on the spot for her granddaughter.  (B&N offered me neither a commission nor a job, by the way - and this is the same B&N that refused to offer me a job when I retired for the first time a few years ago even though I proved to know more about books and the floor plan of this specific location than the interviewer knew.)

I left the store with two new magazines (Mystery Scene and the 100th issue of Bookmarks) and no books.  That's mostly because I simply don't have room to bring in many more books anymore, so I limit myself to new books from favorite authors and the occasional one I just can't resist.  I was really tempted by the display pictured above though because they had several books by authors I've enjoyed in the past on sale for five to seven dollars a piece.  Turns out that I have more willpower than I thought I had.

Happy Mothers Day, ladies!  I hope you are all having a great day.  My wife is hunkered down with one of those Hallmark movies that she loves so much, so we are both having a nice afternoon.

6 comments:

  1. I asked for a copy of Wilkie Collins' The Woman in White at the Barnes and Noble near me once and the kid helping me had no idea what I was talking about, even though that book hasn't been out of print since it was first published. Guess they like to hire non-classic book readers there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That kind of thing bothers me because I remember when booksellers took pride in their work, and bookstore managers took great pride in hiring a knowledgeable staff. Those days seem to be almost over except in the case of indie bookstores who still believe in the old traditions and the old-timers at B&N who came up that way.

      Delete
  2. Wow, I admire your discipline! If I went to B&N every week, I'd be in the poorhouse. I can't seem to leave that place without spending at least $30! It's an addiction, pure and simple.

    I've subscribed to Bookmarks magazine for a long time. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The two things that constrain me in a bookstore are lack of money and lack of shelf space. If not for that, I would be the best customer they ever had.

      Delete
  3. I love this! I find myself drawn to when customers engage the booksellers, too. I just can't help. I am so glad to see you blogging again! (Would love to have you back with LSLL.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kristine. Really good to hear from you. I'm not up to committing to LSLL right now because I have two eye surgeries coming up...June 26 and July 17. Maybe when the recovery process is done...email me if you have a minute because I would love to hear how it's going for you guys.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.