Monday, October 04, 2010

Cashing in on Twilight Cover's Hands

What a world we live in.  That thing called "reality"TV seems to have convinced every person on the face of the Earth that they, too, can be stars...talent not required.  There have always been accidental celebrities, those people who find themselves in the right place at the right time to be "discovered."  Of course, many, if not most, of those discoveries were as phony as the Hollywood publicists spreading the stories, but they were rare enough at one time that we all wanted to believe them.

Now it is just the opposite.  People are no longer willing to wait for luck to tap them on the shoulder.  These days, they are  demanding their 15-minutes - and everyone had better pay attention, by gosh.  The Christian Science Monitor has the story of the woman whose hands appear on the cover of Twilight.  By now, everyone is familiar with the book's cover shot:


Well, Kimbra Hickey wants you to know that those are her hands and she can prove it - and if you stand still long enough, she will:
"It was too big of a deal just to let it be," Hickey told the New York Post of her quest for recognition, even as she admitted that she has become "a little goofy" about the whole thing. ("Goofy" may indeed be the best description for her habit of carrying a Gala apple in her purse at times so she can recreate the famous pose for anyone interested. Hickey told the Post that she also sometimes "hangs out near the cash register" at the Barnes & Noble near her apartment to help attract attention.)

I'm sorry, but I think this is just sad.

10 comments:

  1. Having just read your previous post and agreeing about the $20 bill, I also agree that carrying an apple in her purse and hanging out at the B&N register is sad, too.
    Honestly, I think pretty much "Twilight" related is kind of sad. At the fervent urging of a co-worker, I *tried* to read it. I plodded my way to my requisite 100 pages and then... gave up. I probably would have thrown the book across the room but, thank goodness... it wasn't mine :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, I feel sorry for the lady that she sees this as the biggest thing she has accomplished in her life. Her hands...a photo...the end. Cash your check and forget it. This whole pop culture thing is something I just don't get anymore. That might say more about me than about pop culture, however. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, brother. Pop will eat itself...and that Gala apple, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what is art,,yoko ono had an apple on a desk with a sign stating,apple, and wanted close to five thousand dollars for that and if anyone ever heard her sing, she has proven to be the worst voice of mankind yet there are those who somehow call that art. Sam does those reading his blog a huge service for he poisons his mind with garbage and somehow keeps going and what Sam does is a art in itself by saving the rest of us from the poison he reads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the advent of Reality TV has done huge damage to our society. TV was never the ultimate source for quality entertainment but at least before reality shows you could turn on the tube and watch a program with some sort of plot that would at the very least make you laugh and hopefully stimulate your imagination.

    Now, you can hardly find anything that isn't tainted by the reality revolution and the result is a line up of pathetic shows that mock our intelligence! To often, children get so absorbed in these kind of things that they wouldn't even think about picking up a book or coloring a picture or even going outside to play! They dream of making their own show and "making it big" and end up exactly like this lady. I hate to think what the next 15 or 20 years are going to bring! That's why I do my best to keep my kid's minds and bodies active. I try to play outside with them, read books to them, pin all of their pictures up on my walls, and anything else I can think of. Oh yeah, no reality shows!

    By the way, I know that reality shows aren't the sole culprit here and many things have contributed to this decline in our society, but hey, this blog isn't about those other things, is it? :) Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like this lady needs to get a "real" life. Hopefully being the hand model for the cover of Twilight won't be her biggest life accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Book Nut, I agree with you...completely. Reality shows are garbage and most viewers don't even realize how scripted and edited they are. There is nothing real or spontaneous about any of them. Simply put: they are cheap to make and the networks are hooked on them now for what they add to the bottom line. Quality is not something the networks are interested in anymore. The good old days are dead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathleen, I sure hope she hasn't topped out with this achievement. If so, she is going to have a bleak time of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, that's getting a bit ridiculous.
    It would be like me coming out and publicly admitting that a profile shot of my belly was used on a recent poster campaign for D.A. [Donuts Anonymous].

    D'oh!

    [Sam, will you please delete my comment immediately!]

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would, Cip, but I'm so proud that a real live belly model commented on my post that I can't bring myself to hit the delete button.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.