Sunday, January 24, 2010

Best of 2010, Update 4

I finished Blind Submission yesterday morning, perhaps the strangest ride I've had so far this year. I changed my opinion of the book at least three times over the course of reading it and finally settled on a 4.0 rating. Blind Submission takes place inside the offices of a famous West Coast literary agent and is special fun for all the "book nuts" out there. I'll explain my changing reaction to the book in a formal review sometime in the next day or so.



After 8 books, this is what the real time list now looks like:

1. Man of Constant Sorrow - Ralph Stanley and Eddie Dean (biography)
2. The Opposite Field - Jesse Katz (memoir)

3. The Calligrapher's Daughter - Eugenia Kim (novel)

4. Blind Submission - Debra Ginsberg (2006 novel)
5. Get Out of the Way - Daniel Dinges (novel)
6. Boston Noir - Dennis Lehane, Editor (short story collection)

7. The Unnamed - Joshua Ferris (novel)

8. William S. and the Great Escape - Zilpha Keattey Snyder (Children's book)
Just a reminder: When I reach 11 total books, one will drop off to reflect a current Top Ten. From that point onward, a book will drop from the list each time I add a new one.

4 comments:

  1. That's an interesting idea to organize your "best of"! So you automatically know at the end of the year instead of having to remember what each book was about :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christa, I can already tell that this is going to much more accurately reflect the best books I read in 2010. It's like having a playoff system for books read that will go on all year long. After I get to a list of 10, a new book read will have to beat out all 10 already on the list if it is to find a place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to borrow your idea! But instead of just keeping the top 10, I'll just rank all the books I read in 2010 so I won't have to keep multiple lists... and keeping my fiction and non-fiction separate... at the end of year the I'll know what my top 10 are for both categories! Thanks for the idea!

    http://mentalfoodie.blogspot.com/2010/01/books-read-in-2010.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a good idea, Christa. I'm really curious to see how it works for you. I added another to the list today (9 now) and I'm getting to the point where the list will really start to shape up. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.