Sunday, September 09, 2007

Are You Ready for Some Football?

The NFL season officially opened up in Houston today and I spent the entire day at Reliant Stadium enjoying the Texans 20-3 win over the Kansas City Chiefs. As a result, this has been one of those rare days where I haven't picked up a book or even glanced at the internet or a newspaper.

There's nothing better than a new beginning, especially for a football team like the Houston Texans who have suffered through five miserable seasons since being added to the National Football League. We are now 1-0 for the season, have won three in a row (going back to the last two games of last season), and have won seven of our last fourteen. That doesn't sound like much, but this is a team that is now only 25-56 in its brief history.

I'd like to say that we've finally turned the corner toward football respectability but I'm not going to get my hopes up too high just yet. Thanks for listening. Now it's back to the world of books...

8 comments:

  1. Football's not my sport, but it is exciting to see games live. I remember going to OK Sooners games back in the early 1980s.

    Glad for you that the Texans won, but my grandmother will be upset that they whupped up on "her" Chiefs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the nice words, bybee. The whole town is still buzzing about yesterday's win. They have been rare around here during football season...ever since Nashville and Bud Adams stole our original team (good riddance to Bud).

    ReplyDelete
  3. And the Redskins won, too! :) Man I love football season... the last month or so have gone by sooo slow as I've been waiting for the start of the season.

    Here's hoping both of our teams can make this season the turnaround season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a Texans fan (the Seahawks are my team!), but I have to admit that I was happy to see them win. They have had such a struggle since they came into the league that it's good to see them possibly turn the corner. After all, I know what it's like to root for a team that has been terrible! Fall is my favorite season, the weather and football are great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was happy for the Redskins, Annie. I'm hoping they can stop Dallas at least once this season...even better would be twice. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matt, living in Houston most of my life has gotten me used to rooting for an underdog all the time. We count our real sports successes around here on very few fingers...

    Thanks for the nice thoughts about the football team. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love football, but being married to a non-football fan puts a damper on it. When I lived with my parents we would often watch our favorite team, the NY Giants, together. My dad has season tickets, and even though I haven't been to a game in quite a while, I still miss that stadium rush!
    Stephanie
    www.thewrittenword.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, Stephanie, even though you can actually see better by watching a game on TV, there's nothing really that matches being in the stadium and yelling with the rest of the crowd. It's a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.