Friday, October 26, 2012

Beatles and Bluegrass

Music is as big a constant in my life as my love of books and reading.  Never does a day go by that I don't spend hours listening to music from the collection stored on my computers, iPad, iPod, and that nebulous "cloud" up there somewhere.  I grew up on sixties rock, soul, and country and was lucky enough to have parents who bought four or five new singles every week (some of which I still have around here), so I was exposed to the hits on a regular basis.

 Although I spend more time with bluegrass than any other single genre these days, I find myself longing to hear the deep catalogs (not just the signature songs) of some of my old favorites from the sixties more and more.  So, imagine my surprise last weekend when one of the bluegrass bands at the Bloomin' Bluegrass Festival was a band specializing in Beatles songs.  Now, further imagine my surprise at how good the blend sounded...Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Bluegrass Band...

(Video I shot in Farmers Branch, TX, on Saturday, October 20)


5 comments:

  1. This is really great! Do you know Mariee Sioux, Sam? Buried in Teeth is one of my favourite songs EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't, Nick...but I'll sure take a look. Thanks for the tip...and glad you enjoyed this song. I think these guys really sound great on this one and the other ten, or so, songs they sand that day. I have most of the show captured on my digital sound recorder but haven't had time to really listen to it yet. I collect live performances and probably have 200 sets now - never really counted them - plus lots of early ones I've traded for among other collectors. What did we do before computers? We sure had a lot of time on our hands, didn't we?

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, this is just freaky. A different video suddenly shows up from YouTube...on its own. I have just boxed up my iMac for a trip to the Apple Store in the morning to have a new hard drive installed and can't restore the correct video until tomorrow...got a recall notice from Apple about the drive problem. Hopefully, my backup will be successfully restored to the new drive. Wish me luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this bluegrass version of the Beatles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathleen, the most amazing thing about Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Bluegrass Band is that they are playing in this video with a substitue fiddle player who only learned the songs a day before this event. She was amazing and added so much to the sound that it is hard to believe it was all that new to her. The regular fiddler was off performing with the great Ray Price that weekend...a gig fiddle players would kill for because the fiddle is so intrical to the intros of so many classic Ray Price songs.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.