Friday, February 03, 2012

It's Not Too Late - But Hurry

"Dear World Book Night book giver."  Hey, that's me - and it could be YOU!

I received an email this morning alerting me that my application to participate in World Book Night on April 23 has been approved, so it looks like I'll be giving away 20 copies of one of my favorite books, John Irving's A Prayer for Owen Meany, that night.  I'm looking forward to the evening, and I plan to document the experience via a few photos.

But, even better is the news that it's not too late to land a U.S. spot in the event for yourself because the application deadline has been extended to midnight (not sure what time zone that is, so play it safe) on February 6.

Visit the WBN site from this link and sign up if interested.  All the details can be found there, including the application and a list of 30 titles from which you can choose your giveaway copies.  Should be lots of fun - and a very rewarding experience to boot.  Hurry...

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! How do you give them away, and where? I'm curious how this is organized there. You must be very proud to be participating this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a cool idea. I put in an application to do so...haven't heard whether it has been accepted.

    (love your blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got a targeted location in mind for the actual giveaway that evening, Susan. My dad lives in an assisted living home where a brand new book club is being started up some time in March. Being able to provide the members with copies of what will be their second or third read for the club, should be fun. I spoke to the Social Director at the place this morning and she is all for it, so it looks like it's on. I'll probably have a few copies to share with others there who do not join the book club - and that, hopefully, will encourage them to join up. Most of these folks are well into their 80s and many of them are over 90, so I think the Irving book will be a good fit for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there, Kayo. I get the impression that they still need quite a few participants, so your odds are very good. Let me know how it turns out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sam,
    I got my confirmation email today for handing the books out. I'm so excited. I think its a great idea.

    Kayo

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's cool, Kayo. Which book will you be distributing that night?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am hoping it is Zeitoun by Dave Eggers. They didnt say if I got my first choice or not. I sure hope this is it!
    This feels like I won the lottery. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kayo, I received another email from the Giveaway folks this morning alerting me that late next week they will send me some details about a pickup point for my 20 books.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.