Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Best of 2011 - First Pass

It's a bit early for me to expect a meaningful Top 10 list, especially in nonfiction titles, from my 2011 reading, but I really need to start sorting them properly before they become any fuzzier to me.  To this point, I've read fourteen fiction titles and seven nonfiction ones, meaning that all but four of the books will be listed.

The best ten fiction books to this point, ranked in order, are these:


1. The Glass Rainbow - James Lee Burke (Dave Robicheaux series)

2. Dead Man's Walk - Larry McMurtry (Lonesome Dove series)

3. Nemesis - Philip Roth (novel)

4. Autumn of the Phantoms - Yasmina Khadra (Algerian detective fiction)

5. Standing at the Crossroads - Charles Davis (British novel)

6. Robinson Crusoe - Daniel Defoe (classic novel)

7. The Finkler Question - Howard Jacobson - (British novel)

8. Innocent - Scott Turow (legal fiction)

9. My Name Is Mary Sutter - Robin Oliveira (Civil War fiction)

10. Tallgrass - Sandra Dallas - (YA novel)


Since I've only read seven nonfiction titles so far this year, this will be a Top 7 list:

1. Wolf: The Lives of Jack London - James L. Haley (biography)

2. Hitch 22: A Memoir - Christopher Hitchens (memoir)

3. Chinaberry Sidewalks - Rodney Crowell (memoir)

4. Lincoln's Men - William C. Davis (Civil War history)

5.A Widow's Story - Joyce Carol Oates (memoir)

6. Scorecasting - Tobias J. Moskowitz, Jon Wortheim (sports)

7. Heart of the City - Ariel Sabar (sociology)

So there you have it.  This is really more for my own purposes than anything else but I decided to post it in case someone might be interested in seeing how the first two months of the year have shaped up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.