Monday, September 06, 2010

Book Tour Gone Bad - and Cancelled

As a follow-up to yesterday's post on the Tony Blair book tour for A Journey, here's a bit of news from The Sun.  It now appears that the twit protestors will follow Mr. Blair from bookstore to bookstore as he attempts to sign copies of his memoir for those who want to add signed copies to their libraries.  Blair, showing what I think is a proper level of concern for the safety of the general public and the amount of money being wasted on extra police security, has decided to cancel his London appearances.

I imagine this means the end of the tour, period, unless Blair wants to eventually test the waters in other countries.

Thanks, though, for the publicity, twit protestors.  I had not planned on buying a copy of the book before this happened, but I will be buying one now.  And I doubt that I am the only one feeling this way.  The proceeds go to a worthy cause and you should be ashamed of yourselves for trying to stop the sale of the book to those who admire the man - or to those just curious to hear what he has to say.  Shame on you.

(This one is filed under the "Opinion" category, obviously - as was yesterday's post.)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this and bringing it to my attention. I especially appreciate your focus on the book rather than the politics involved and your attempts to keep the post focused on the book, rather than political issues.

    I am also not interested in debating the politics surrounding Blair's office, but I do find it surprising that the villagers, if you will, have shown up with their torches and pitchforks (eggs and shoes?) to protest the publication of a book. Given the current focus on freedom of the press and the problems faced by censorship of books, I'm as appalled by these protests as I am by those who wish to remove books for religious, sexual, or social reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the original commenter's request, I have removed several pointed criticisms of the views I express in this post.

    That, of course, made some of the responses to her comments seem a little strange (and totally out of context), so I removed those also.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.