Tuesday, January 27, 2009

John Updike Dead at 76

Comes word today that we've lost another of the great ones. This time it's John Updike - who passed away sometime this morning from the lung cancer he's been fighting.

I will always remember him best for his Rabbit books, the series of books published over a thirty-year period that chronicled the ups and downs of Harry "Rabbit" Angstrom, a former high school basketball player just trying to make his way in the world. Most recently, Updike had seen some success with his follow-up to 1984's The Witches of Eastwick, The Widows of Eastwick, his 23rd, and I would think, his last published novel.

Updike, winner of two Pulitzer prizes, was a masterful writer, one of the finest ever produced by this country. It will be strange not to see a new John Updike novel in 2009 because he seldom let a year go by without something new to offer his fans. Rest in peace, Mr. Updike. We'll miss you.

6 comments:

  1. What a nice commentary on Mr. Updike.I'm a big fan of his work, too. He'll be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John Updike's passing is sad, but he left a ton of awesome work. "Immortality is nontransferrable" he said appropriately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Karen. It's heartbreaking to see so many of the great ones passing on but, in a way, they are the lucky ones because they will be remembered for many generations to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coffee, he did indeed, and I need to revisit some of that work soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always sad when a literary legend leaves us behind.
    When Jose Saramago dies, I think I will wear black for a year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cip, it's really hard to lose the great ones. I've been a fan of a couple of singers for over 40 years now - and when they go it will leave a huge hole in my world.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.