Thursday, October 25, 2007

Personal Note

I've mentioned here a few times that the company where I worked for almost 29 years cut me lose this past March 22. It's hard for me to believe that it has already been seven months since that happened. I've also shared my struggle to find employment in any of the three local bookstores around me, two Barnes & Noble ones and one of the Borders chain. I had always figured to spend some time working in a bookstore after leaving the corporate world but, for whatever reason, that dream is not going to happen if Barnes & Noble and Borders have anything to do with it. But that's another story.

I just wanted to mention that I'm starting a temporary corporate job in the morning that will keep me busy during the day for what should be the next 6-8 weeks. That means I won't be around much until the evenings but I'm hoping that Book Chase doesn't suffer from any shortage of time on my part. I'm actually looking forward to getting back into an office setting for a few weeks, and the thought that I'll be seeing a paycheck again for the next little while is kind of nice, too. I just wanted to let everyone know that I will be slower responding to email and the like than I have been in the past.

Now I have to find that old alarm clock...

14 comments:

  1. Woo Hoo! That's great news, Sam. Enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great Sam! Congrats! We'll be here whenever you get around to us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A paycheck is never to be sneezed at -to coin a phrase. When you've finished this temp stint, are there any indie bookshops in your area that you could approach?
    Mean while, all the best for the new job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the temp job. My husband's convinced that they're the best the corporate world has to offer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry, the rest of us layabout, do-nothing bloggers will hold the fort for you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've decided to believe that your bookstore is out there somewhere, and a manager with good sense and excellent taste is waiting to hire you. Meanwhile, have fun back in the corporate world!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, Sam! Who knows? Maybe when your time comes to an end at this part-time corporate job, the perfect job for you will open up at your local B&N, and you'll snag it. You never know...magick happens!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you! Hope you enjoy your re-entry into the world of work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope the temp job is one you enjoy. My husband used to work for B&N and they always hire around the holidays. Maybe then you'll be able to get your foot in the door. Don't give up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best of luck with everything (including maintaining the old blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I look forward to the reviews of books you will be listening to during the commute. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. As long as the work is honest and not too grating to the spirit, I'm glad you've got this opportunity. And your real friends in the blogosphere do understand this kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow...I'm overwhelmed by all the kind words and I sincerely appreciate them.

    The first day went well and I have already come to believe that I'm very lucky to have found such a nice group of laid back people on this temporary assignment. I'm not sure what the future holds and I'm still hoping for that bookstore job, but this is a really good thing for me until something like that finally opens up.

    Again, thanks for all the nice words. That was a nice surprise this evening. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.