Translate

Friday, October 26, 2007

Has J.K. Rowling Broken Faith with Her Readers?

No, I've never read a whole Harry Potter book. In fact, I'm pretty sure that my total exposure to all things Potter, including the movies, is chapter one of the first book in the series, and I read that quite a few years ago. And I don't particularly care one way or the other if any of the characters in the book are gay. But what the heck is going on with J.K. Rowling these days? Does she miss the spotlight so much that she's dreaming up new backgrounds for her characters while being driven to her next book signing event?

What I have found odd, and a bit irritating, these last few days is that, from everything I've read, there is apparently little, if anything, in the books themselves that indicate that Professor Dumbledore is gay. Rather, it seems that Rowling is able to generate all of this "buzz" simply by claiming that she always thought of him as gay. Her flippancy has forever tainted the books for many of her readers, I suspect. I know that I would not be happy to learn after reading seven books that one of the main characters in the books is not the man that the author led me to believe he is and that I may have missed some serious implications in the plot line, things that I would not have missed if the author had not hidden in print what she now claims in public speaking events.

Post a Comment