Sunday, September 16, 2007

He Who Fears the Wolf

My reading has taken an unexpected (for me) twist in the last three weeks considering that I was completely unaware of Karin Fossum’s existence until mid-August. About that time, I read a review of the latest of her books to be published in the U.S., The Indian Bride, and was intrigued enough by the review to grab a copy of the book from my local library that same week. Now, just three weeks later, I’ve read all four the Fossum books that are available in this country, and I can’t wait for others to arrive.

He Who Fears the Wolf, like Fossum’s other Inspector Sejer mysteries, is perhaps more of a psychological thriller than it is a police procedural, and her work continues to remind me of British novelist Ruth Rendell. Fossum does the same remarkable job that Rendell does in creating unique, if deeply flawed, characters who often find themselves in desperate situations with no idea how they got there or what to do next.

When Inspector Konrad Sejer leaves home for the police station, he has no way of knowing that the two cases that will soon take over his life are developing while he walks along the downtown streets toward his desk. Already, a troubled young boy has rushed into another station to report the discovery of the body of an elderly murder victim and to say that he spotted an escaped mental patient on the property. And because he fails to follow his hunch about a suspicious looking man walking toward him and the bank that is just opening for business, Sejer narrowly misses stopping the bank robbery that he almost witnesses with his own eyes.

Not only is Sejer unhappy with himself for not acting on his hunch, he is embarrassed when his image appears on the bank’s surveillance tape walking out of the bank only seconds before the robbery happens. To make matters worse, the armed bank robber takes a hostage with him when he makes his escape. Sejer, who has been assigned to work both crimes, finds his investigations taking a bizarre twist when the tape reveals that the hostage taken in the bank is none other than the escaped mental patient he wants to question about that morning’s murder.

It may have been bad luck that caused the bank robber to choose an escaped mental patient for his hostage but his luck is going to have to change quickly if he is to survive that fateful choice. As the long day takes its course, both Inspector Sejer and the robber begin to wonder if the police will get to him in time to save him from his own hostage.

Karin Fossum serves up a surprisingly sympathetic cast of characters considering the mental instability of several of them, and she steadily turns up the pressure as her story winds down to its inevitable conclusion. But, as I’ve come to expect from her other Sejer mysteries, it is always wise to be prepared for one final surprise in the book’s final two or three pages. This one is no exception.

Rated at: 4.0

13 comments:

  1. What's the first book in this series? I would like to read all the books, but I hate to start in the middle of a series. TIA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, I've tried to figure that out without much success. There have been only four published in the U.S. but I think there are something like seven in the series (I may be wrong about that recollection). The Indian Bride is the latest one published here, but it was the first that I read. I think that Don't Look Back was the first one published here, followed by He Who Fears the Wolf and When the Devil Holds the Candle.

    I'm like you and much prefer to read a series in order...I was way off this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL - I may just have to read the series out of order then *gasp*

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's not a whole lot of real continuity in the books, Susan, so it didn't bother me too much. But I never do it this way by choice...

    ReplyDelete
  5. -Don't Look Back
    -He Who Fears the Wolf
    -When the Devil Holds the Candle
    -Indian Bride..aka..Calling out to you
    -Black Seconds

    Found this order on an author site so hope it helps.

    I don't usually do well reading translated novels but this series seems worth trying and luckily my library has all. I will add Fossum to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Elizabeth. This series sounds so good, Sam, I'm definitely going to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it great to discover a new series? It's my favorite, even above just discovering a new author you love who doesn't have a series.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the info on that new title, Elizabeth. Did her website say if it's been published in the U.S. yet?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susan - I hope that you enjoy the series as much as I did.

    Dewey - I don't know what it is about series, but I can become instantly hooked on them. I think that series appeal to the same part of my personality that "collecting" appeals to...it's almost like completing a collection when you read all the books in a series. Weird, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds fascinating! Darnit, too many books on that ever-blossoming wishlist...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was just going by my Canadian info. We are lucky that we can often get the British additions and don't have to wait for USA publication.

    The best of both worlds. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's kind of a nice "problem" to have though, isn't it, Heather? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's what I was afraid of, Elizabeth. I'll have to keep my eyes open here, hoping that it shows up soon.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.