Monday, March 04, 2024

What I'm Reading This Week (March 4, 2024)

 


I ended up finishing three books again last week, one I absolutely loved (Killers of a Certain Age), one I thought was above average (There There), and one that I found kind of appalling (Nineteen Claws and a Black Bird). I've also been really surprised by how much I'm enjoying the first half of Elaine Feeney's How to Build a Boat, another of the 2023 Booker Prize nominees. 

This week I'll likely finish Hitchcock's Blondes and The Case of the Empty Tin, and I hope to spend more time with Michael Cunningham's Day. I'm also relatively pleased so far with two others that I've started (both easily made it past my DNF threshold):

How to Solve Your Own Murder is about an elderly woman who has lived with the fear of being murdered ever since she was a teenager and a carnival fortune teller predicted that she would one day die at the hand of another. The woman grew to be quite wealthy, but lived in relative isolation for most of her life before deciding to leave everything she owns to a grandniece she has never met, cutting out of the will a conniving woman who was certain that she and her son would inherit it all. It all goes sideways after the grandniece responds to a summons to meet with the woman's lawyer.

Kat Timpf has fascinated me for several years now because of how often what she says or writes ends up making me look at some issue differently than I had before considering her take on it. You Can't Joke about That is, I think, her first book, and it's a strong defense of free speech and how that constitutional right relates to comedy, particularly to stand-up comedy. Timpf makes a strong argument that cancel culture is not only morally wrong, but that it is also extremely dangerous to all of us. She also presents the case that joking about the very issues most likely to anger people or about personal grief is one of the better ways to find healing for "things you probably wouldn't bring up in polite conversation." This is also a revealing personal memoir covering her career to date. 

Now for my biggest and best surprise of last week's reading:

How to Build a Boat is my 12th of 2023's thirteen Booker Prize nominees, and I'm kind of glad it came to me as late in the process as it did because it's turning out to be one of the better books on the whole list. As a group, the Booker list has been a rather gloomy bunch, with several of the books featuring characters somewhere on the autism spectrum. How to Build a Boat does feature a young man on the spectrum, but despite the bullying the boy endures at school, I'm finding this one to be much more positive and hopeful than almost everything else on the 2023 Booker list. 

I'm also likely to begin at least two of these this week:




Again and Again is about an old man who is spending his final days in a nursing home, but he insists that he is actually one thousand years old. The story seems largely to be about his bonding with his new nursing assistant, Geno. Mr. Texas is a satirical look at Texas politics that I have high hopes for because the book's author, Lawrence Wright, won the Pulitzer Prize for a nonfiction book I very much enjoyed a while back. And, Many a River is an Elmer Kelton western that I've somehow managed to miss despite Kelton having been my favorite western author since back in the '80s. 

Right now a lot of my time is being taken up by college baseball, so my page-count is suffering the consequences. But because my favorite team is off to an 11-0 start, I'm milking this season for all it's worth. The guys have a big one against that little school in Austin on Tuesday night that I'm especially looking forward to. The real competition starts on March 15 when SEC games start for us with a three-game series against Florida. For college baseball fans, it just doesn't get any better than this time of year.

Have a great week, everybody! Keep turning those pages...

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, mixing up a bunch of genres and styles helps me to keep things relatively fresh most of the time. As soon as something goes stale to me, I switch books to better fit my reading mood of the moment.

      Delete
  2. Some interesting books again this week. How to Build a Boat never even made it to my radar, but it really sounds good. And I remember being interested in Lawrence Wright's God Save Texas. Is that the one you read? I loved Michael Cunningham's Day from the first pages, especially the writing. The structure is such a unique take on the pandemic and, since April 5 is my daughter's birthday, it was easy to pinpoint exactly where and what what I was doing on each of those days. Will be curious to see what you make of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to consistently spend some time with Day, I think, because I'm just not feeling the characters yet from the sporadic way I'm reading the book. That usually helps me when I'm slow to come to a book if I recognize the problem soon enough.

      Looming Tower is the Lawrence Wright book that impressed me so much. I heard him speak live about his research shortly after it was published, and the book lived up to my high expectations.

      How to Build a Boat continues to impress me. I don't think it received a whole lot of love from the Booker judges, but it's high on my list of nominees with only one more to go.

      Delete
  3. Hope your team does well on Tuesday! And I'm glad How to Build a Boat is turning out to be one of the better Booker Prize nominees. Happy reading this week. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...game starts in three hours. I'm about 70% through How to Build a Boat now, and it's held up well. I'm enjoying it, and am pretty much all in on the main character.

      Delete
  4. Best of luck to your college baseball team. How To Build A Boat must be a very good book indeed to be nominated for The Booker Award. Could the book have used a different title though? Sociopath A Memoir might turn out to be a DNR but its going to fly off the shelves with a title like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really looking forward to the game, Kathy. Win or lose, if it's a close one I'll enjoy the heck out of it. Of course, I'd be pretty happy if we win by 10 runs, too. lol

      The How to Build a Boat title is pretty appropriate in this case because the second half of the book is largely taken up by a woodworking class project to do exactly that. It's part of a teacher's plan to calm down the main character so that he can better enjoy his secondary school experience. Not very title search friendly, though, that's for sure.

      Delete
  5. I saw How to Solve Your Own Murder reviewed on Booktube last night and thought then that this is one I will definitely read. I don't know when of course, but I usually get to these things eventually. LOL! Kat Timpf interests me, from what you say I would probably agree with her views on free speech. And I love that cover on Many a River! Have a good reading week, Sam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How to Solve Your Own Murder is pretty clever so far. I'm enjoying the set-up and how the important clues are being revealed in real time and in flashbacks to the sixties. Timp is labelled as a "Progressive" in this country; she is very liberal in some views and relatively conservative in others. She's basically anti-tax and an advocate of very limited government.

      Delete
  6. How to Solve Your Own Murder sounds interesting and also Again and Again by Evison. I will be interesting to see what you think of both of those. The cover of Again and Again is also very attractive. Have fun watching baseball. I never have been a big sports fan, but I have watched some baseball, some football, some hockey, and for a few years... a lot of basketball. But usually professional games, not college.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more I read from How to Solve Your Own Murder, the more I like it, Tracy. It's plot is really clever, and now that I see where the book is headed I'm looking forward to seeing how it all works out for the narrator. I'm looking forward to getting to Again and Again soon. I really got hooked on How to Build a Boat this week, as it turns out, and couldn't put it down in anticipation and hope that it would end on the same note it began.

      Delete
  7. I'm curious about How to Build a Boat and don't know anything about it. Does it have anything to do with boats or is that a metaphor? I will look for your review of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to write a review this week of How to Build a Boat. It's a character-driven novel in which the adults are more flawed than most of the children in the story...maybe that's the way it is in reality now that I think about it. The second half of the book is largely taken up by a group project of building a boat in a way it was done hundreds of years ago by Native peoples. Building the boat is used as a way to get all the main characters together in one place so that they can interact.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.