Sunday, October 31, 2021

We Have Always Lived in the Castle - Shirley Jacksom


If you enjoy writers like Stephen King, Neal Gaiman, or Richard Matheson, I have some great news for you. Shirley Jackson, who was an absolute master of psychological suspense and horror fiction, did it better than any of them. And despite dying of a progressive heart illness in 1965 at just 48, Jackson left behind a relatively substantial body of work for readers to explore and enjoy. 

One of my own Shirley Jackson favorites is her last novel, 1962’s We Have Always Lived in the Castle, which critics have dubbed a “gothic mystery.” In approximately 150 pages, depending on which edition you read, Jackson creates a weirdly believable small-town world in which jealous townspeople finally find an opportunity to get even with the rich family in town that has for generations made all of them feel so inferior. And one night they get their revenge in spades.


The story begins when “Merricat” Blackwood, one of two sisters living in the Blackwood family home introduces herself this way:


“My name is Mary Katherine Blackwood. I am eighteen years old, and I live with my sister Constance. I have often thought that with any luck at all I could have been born a werewolf, because the two middle fingers on both my hands are the same length, but I have had to be content with what I had. I dislike washing myself, and dogs, and noise. I like my sister Constance, and Richard Plantagenet, and Amanita phalloides, the death-cup mushroom. Everyone else in my family is dead.” 


Merricat, our narrator, then begins a flashback of a few months duration describing the last time she went into town to pick up library books and a few groceries for her and her sister. It is obvious from the way that she is treated in town, that the townspeople see Merricat as something strange and a bit horrifying, and that they feel free to torment her right up to the point where they draw the line at physical abuse. Merricat has so little self-awareness that her inner thoughts and compulsive rituals mark her as a target even for the children living in town. 


Back at home in the fenced-in Blackwood family estate, we learn that some six years earlier the Blackwood family suffered a tragedy that only three of them survived: Merricat, her older sister Constance, and the girls’ Uncle Julian. The survivors have been completely isolated from their neighbors ever since, with the exception of Merricat’s quick Tuesday runs into town for supplies and new library books. The townspeople, while not particularly upset about the number of people who died that night, believe that what happened was not an accident. And because making someone pay for what happened is the easiest way for them to feel superior to the Blackwoods for the first time in their lives, they jump all over that opportunity when it suddenly presents itself.


Bottom Line: We Have Always Lived in the Castle is a mystery that only gradually reveals its truths as each layer of the relationship between the sisters is peeled back. Some of the secrets are revealed through Julian’s rambling memories even though it is apparent that the man’s mind is no longer what it once was. But it is only when a wildcard character, the ruthless cousin of the girls’, moves into the Blackwood estate that their world finally blows up. Neither they, their cousin, or the people in the town will ever forget what happens next — and none of them will ever be the same.  


Shirley Jackson

Happy Halloween!

16 comments:

  1. Shirley Jackson is a great writer! I remember liking this book, but it's been so long since I read it, I really need to read it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really is great, no doubt. I need to find a good biography on her soon even though I know her personal life was a rather depressing one.

      Delete
  2. I never read this one but, have always meant to. It's on my library wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so well written, Diane, that I couldn't put it down even though I could see the big reveal coming for a while. The sister-characters are great...so much going on between the lines with those two.

      Delete
  3. First, congrats on finishing your Goodreads challenge!

    I read this a few years back (possibly as much as ten) and wasn't quite sure what to make of it. I liked it, I didn't love it. I think it may be a book that would bear re-reading to get a better sense of it. Was it her that wrote the short story, The Lottery? Now that one horrified me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cath. My completion-rate seems to be picking up a bit as the year comes to a close. I didn't expect to reach that number so early.

      She did write The Lottery and I think it was the title story of a compilation of her short stories, too. It was pretty horrifying, for sure.

      Delete
  4. Amazingly, I have never read Shirley Jackson, a yawning hole in my reading landscape. You've just reminded me of why I need to correct that. I probably won't get to her this year, but I'm making a note for my reading next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is so different, Dorothy, from what you would expect if you just looked a her picture...especially considering the period in which she was producing some of this stuff. She was brilliant.

      Delete
  5. I did not read every detail of your post because I am planning on reading this book this month for Novellas in November. I have read the short story, The Lottery, but nothing else by her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think there were any real spoilers there...hope not, anyway...but it's always best not to take that chance. Can't wait to see what you think of it.

      Delete
  6. Great review, Sam! Now I want to reread it for next year's RIP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be absolutely perfect for that particular challenge, JoAnn.

      Delete
  7. Hi Sam, Great review and a perfect choice for Halloween. I read this book maybe 15 years ago. I remember how brilliant it was and though I forget some of the specifics of the plot I do remember that Merricat is not who the reader initially thinks she is and that fact is revealed at the end of the book. It comes as quite a shock although there are probably clues along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of saw what was coming relatively early on and enjoyed it because I started noticing little hints sprinkled throughout the rest of the book. There was a whole lot going on between the lines, wasn't there?

      Delete
  8. Yeah this is a good Halloween kind of story! I reviewed it last November ... Here are my thoughts on it: https://www.thecuecard.com/books/time-to-move-ahead/
    I'm glad you're a fan of hers too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link to your review; I'll go back and read it. I suspect that I read it when you first posted it, but that was a long time ago. :-)

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.