Monday, December 31, 2012

Book Chase: 2012 By the Numbers

Another calendar year is in the books and in just three weeks, I will mark the completion of six years of Book Chase - and I can honestly say that I'm looking forward to Year Seven with as much excitement as I felt on day one (January 20, 2007).  Because I retired from the rat race three days ago, I should have more free time to devote to the things I most love doing.  How that will affect Book Chase is anyone's guess, but I can't wait to find out.

I always enjoy looking at the year-end numbers because they bring back lots of good memories.  So here goes:
Number of Books Read - 134

Fiction - 102:
Novels - 94
Short Story Collections - 8

Nonfiction - 32:
Memoirs - 12
Biographies - 5
Books on Books- 2
Business - 2
Travel - 2
Other- 5
Sports - 1
Science - 1
History - 2

Written by Men - 91
Written by Women - 40
Co-Authored by Both - 3

Audio Books - 5
E-Books - 10
Library Books - 39
Review Copies - 87
Started but Abandoned - 9

Translated: 5
Pages per Day: 110

Total Number of Pages Read (Excluding audio books) = 40,200 
And now, it's on to 2013.

6 comments:

  1. James, this is probably the first year I've ever broken 100 pages a day. Last year, I think, was 92 pages a day even though my goal is always 100 a day. It will be interesting to see whether or not retirement translates into an increase or not. Somehow, I don't see how I'll get that much more time to read in any given day...maybe just saner reading times of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Entertaining roundup! I like the "started but abandoned" category... I should add that one to my counting as well. Page count is interesting, never thought of doing that -- wonder how your new circumstances will change your stats next yearend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nine "abandons" is about my average per year, Melwyk. I started keeping that stat a few years ago when I realized I was reading a lot more pages than I could otherwise account for each year. Nerdy, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a year! And just imagine how much more reading time you will have now that you have retired! Happy 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stefanie, I don't know where the days are flying to...I am getting in a bit more reading than usual, but I'm so busy just getting organized and cleaning up things that the days are going by very quickly.

    ReplyDelete

THE PROBLEM WITH COMMENTS SEEMED TO HIT A PEAK ON SEPTEMBER 4. THERE WERE MULTIPLE REPORTS FROM ALL OVER, AND GOOGLE FINALLY PAID ATTENTION TO THE PROBLEM, SO FOR NOW, AT LEAST, IT'S PROBLEM SOLVED.