Friday, April 17, 2009

Dewey's 24-Hour Read-a-Thon

Despite being more than a bit sleep-deprived for the past two weeks, I've decided to check in with Dewey's 24-Hour Read-a-Thon tomorrow. I'm still sitting with my father as he recuperates from pneumonia, so I have some time on my hands - if I can just keep my eyes open.

I've wanted to do this before, but the first two events happened on weekends during which I was out of state attending music festivals (in Kentucky) so this is a first for me. I'm so unprepared, in fact, that I only have one book here that I haven't read. It's a long one, though - a collection of every John Cheever short story ever published. I doubt my ability to read nothing but Cheever in such a concentrated dose, so I'll have to slip out and find some backups that will offer a little more variety.

I seriously doubt that I'll be up for anything near 24 hours straight, but I'm looking forward to the experience. If I read the time schedule correctly, it all starts at 7:00 a.m., Houston-time.

1 comment:

  1. I'm trying to find out what the deal is with the read-a-thon.Is it just that you're supposed to read for 24 hours straight without sleeping?

    I think if I had gotten involved with this, I would make sure I had some "really great" books to read.

    ReplyDelete

Always happy to hear from you. Please feel free to comment on any post, no matter how old it is. I'll try to keep up.