Thursday, April 12, 2007

Cheaper by the Dozen


"If you have a garden and library, you have everything." - Cicero

"Knowledge is free at the library; just bring your own container." - unknown

I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a good book. - Groucho Marx

"Wear the old coat and buy the new book." - Austin Phelps

"There is no mistaking a real book when one finds it. It is like falling in love." - Christopher Morley

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx

"Never judge a book by its movie." - J.W. Eagan

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." - Mark Twain

"Always read stuff that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it." P.J. O'Rourke

"Some books are undeservedly forgotten; none are undeservedly remembered." - W.H. Auden

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

"Knowledge is power, if you know it about the right person." - Ethel Mumford

9 comments:

  1. I love the one about the old coat. Every time I ponder a purchase I consider how many books I could buy with the money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the quote - "knowledge is free at the library, just bring your own bag" - that is just so true!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya gotta love Groucho Marx! Thanks for the great quotes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that Groucho Marx quote, too. One of my coworkers has it for his email sig line!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent quotes. I like the O'Rourke one best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great list of quotes, some of them are going up on my wall!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad y'all enjoyed some of the quotes. They say a lot about readers and their relationships with books and libraries, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let me add one of my favs from Winston Churchill "A man (person) can move a mountain with words." Sam, your words move people to books that move mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great Churchill quote, Howard...and thanks for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete

Always happy to hear from you. Please feel free to comment on any post, no matter how old it is. I'll try to keep up.