Thursday, April 12, 2007

Cheaper by the Dozen


"If you have a garden and library, you have everything." - Cicero

"Knowledge is free at the library; just bring your own container." - unknown

I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a good book. - Groucho Marx

"Wear the old coat and buy the new book." - Austin Phelps

"There is no mistaking a real book when one finds it. It is like falling in love." - Christopher Morley

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx

"Never judge a book by its movie." - J.W. Eagan

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." - Mark Twain

"Always read stuff that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it." P.J. O'Rourke

"Some books are undeservedly forgotten; none are undeservedly remembered." - W.H. Auden

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

"Knowledge is power, if you know it about the right person." - Ethel Mumford

9 comments:

  1. I love the one about the old coat. Every time I ponder a purchase I consider how many books I could buy with the money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the quote - "knowledge is free at the library, just bring your own bag" - that is just so true!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya gotta love Groucho Marx! Thanks for the great quotes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that Groucho Marx quote, too. One of my coworkers has it for his email sig line!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent quotes. I like the O'Rourke one best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great list of quotes, some of them are going up on my wall!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad y'all enjoyed some of the quotes. They say a lot about readers and their relationships with books and libraries, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let me add one of my favs from Winston Churchill "A man (person) can move a mountain with words." Sam, your words move people to books that move mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great Churchill quote, Howard...and thanks for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.