Sunday, May 05, 2024

What I'm Reading This Week (May 6, 2024)

 


When it comes to turning pages, last week was a pretty good week, even if maybe not so good when it comes actually to finishing books. The only book I completed was Faceless Killers, the first novel in Henning Mankell's Kurt Wallander series. I do have three others near completion, with fewer than a 100 pages to go in each of them, but that means I was only able to begin one new book during the past week - and even that one was not among those I thought I'd be selecting from. I suppose I should just go ahead and admit to myself that I've temporarily (at the least) abandoned Camus's The Plague since I haven't touched it in almost a month, so that leaves me beginning the week deeply immersed in Alice McDermott's Absolution, Joan Leegant's Displaced Persons, and Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

Absolution has taken me in directions I didn't expect it to go, and is turning out to be even better and more affecting than I hoped it would be. I mentioned last week that the first part of the book, by far the longest of its three sections, is narrated by an 80-year-old looking back at her days in Vietnam in the early 1960s - and that it is directed specifically at a woman the narrator remembers from those days as a child. It turns out that the second part of the novel is the second woman's narrative response to what she has been told by the older woman. It's a little like some amazing jigsaw puzzle that can only be put together by the combined memories of Tricia and Rainey. There's so much packed into the story that the book feels much longer than it really is when measured by page-count.

I've now read all seven of the short stories in Displaced Persons that are set in Israel along with three of the seven set in the U.S. The common theme of each is reflected in the book's title as Leegant weaves her way in and out of stories about people who never really feel completely at home where they are. There is always something about the past or their dreams for the future that have them yearning for something they've either once had and lost, or never had in the first place. Even though the stories average only about twenty pages each, Leegant has a special talent for creating complete worlds and deep characters within the space she allows herself. Displaced Persons reminds me exactly why I am such a fan of short stories.

On Animals is a series of essays in which Susan Orlean explains her "animalishness" to the rest of us. Like most children, Orlean was animalish when she was a little girl; she just never outgrew the attraction and has structured her life in a manner that allows her almost always to have animals around her. In her introduction Orlean says, "I think I have the same response to animals that I would if Martians landed on Earth: I would like to get to know them and befriend them, all the while knowing we were not quite of the same ilk. They seem to have something in common with us, and yet they're alien, unknowable, familiar but mysterious." I can't say that I'm overwhelmed by the first two or three essays in the book, but I'm still reading.

Their fast approaching publication dates mean that I'll likely be starting these in the next few days, but I'm hoping this still turns out to be the week that I get to start re-reading either Deliverance or Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant, also:

Publication Date: June 11, 2024

Publication Date: June 11, 2024

Publication Date: June 4, 2024

I hope you all have good weeks, and that you find some terrific new books to tell us about along the way. I'll look forward to hearing all about them. 

10 comments:

  1. I still own Orleans' book on Rin Tin Tin but haven't yet read it. Story of my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you feel. I've only read her "Library Book" about the big LA library fire, but I liked that one a lot. This is very different from that one, and I'm still slow to warm up to it. Maybe it's because it's a collection of animal-related essays that are not seeming to hang together particularly well so far.

      Delete
  2. I look forward to reading Absolution someday. I also look forward to your thoughts on Faceless Killers. I read it in 2011 and have no memory of it. I read Dogs of Riga by Mankell in 2019 and I remember liking it, especially the setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished Absolution this morning. The ending was a little bit of a let down to me for some reason, but Absolution really is very good and I'm glad that I was able to work it in. Mankell books have really striking settings, don't they. I think the setting combines well with the gloominess of Wallander - sort of explains why he can't shake the mood.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad Absolution is turning out to be such a good read. And Displaced Persons appeals to me, too, even though I'm not really a huge short story reader. Have a great week, Sam! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've really enjoyed Displaced Persons. I always admire a writer who can tell a complicated story with memorable characters and settings within so few pages. That has to be as tough as writing a 300-page novel, I think, if it's done right.

      Delete
  4. I'm still thinking about Absolution and it's been at least a couple of weeks since I finished. It was mentioned as a possible Pulitzer Prize contender in an article I read over the weekend. I borrowed On Animals from the library a couple of years ago, but never got beyond the first essay or two... and I haven't gotten around to checking it out again either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to sit down long enough to write my thoughts on Absolution. I expected it to be good because Alice McDermott never disappoints me, but it turned out to be even more interesting than I had hoped. I've given up on On Animals now.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you're liking Absolution. I found it to be an interesting read. I listened to On Animals on audio and found it uneven: some essays I enjoyed, while others sort of bored me - but I love animals too. How did you hear about the Alan Murrin book? I read an advanced copy and thought it was quite good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That period in Saigon was an intriguing one, but this is the first thing I've read set then from the point of view of wives who were there with their government contractor husbands. Whole different perspective and it really worked well. I can't remember where I first heard of the Murrin book...could have simply been that I spotted the cover somewhere it liked it so much that I looked for the book. That happens way more times than I probably should admit.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.