Monday, March 25, 2024

What I'm Reading This Week (March 25, 2024)

 


I'm not real sure where last week disappeared to so quickly, but it's already time to start another reading week. I finished two books last week (Sociopath and Again and Again) and made some good progress on a couple of others, but it sure doesn't feel that way. I'm almost done with The Storm We Made and have gotten to a couple of twists in this story of Japan's WWII occupation of Malaya that leave open endless possibilities for the novels last fifty pages so it will be fun to see where that one ends up. I've also started, and almost finished, what is becoming a surprisingly disappointing detective novel by Amulya Malladi set in Denmark called A Death in Denmark - and I'm on the verge of abandoning Kat Timpf's You Can't Joke About That because I don't hear that one calling me anymore. 

A Death in Denmark is Amulya Malladi's introduction to her Danish detective series featuring Gabriel Praest. The plot is a relatively straightforward one involving powerful Danes who do not want their family history of WWII collaboration with Nazi Germany exposed to the world. When a politician threatens to do exactly that in a new book she is researching, the Russian mafia is called in and people begin to die. The problem I'm having with all of this is that Gabriel Praest is a walking, talking cliché of the worst order. 

Ordinary Human Failings is a novel I've snatched from the 2024 Women's Prize list. It's set in 1990 London and involves an Irish immigrant family caught up in a backlash after a ten-year-old child is suspected of a violent crime against another child. The main character, already pretty much crushed by the hand she's been dealt by life, has to deal with what is happening along with everything she learns about her family and its past. It all sounds pretty gloomy, I admit, but it's relatively short and should be a good way to sample the list. 

I've read the first thirty pages of this edition of The Plague by Albert Camus despite my reluctance to pick up another covid novel anytime soon. While this one is about a mysterious illness too, I want to read it because it takes place in a foreign city I'm somewhat familiar with from my time in Algeria. Despite being set in Oran about forty-five years before I visited there in the early '90s, it reminds me very much of the mysterious feeling that city left me with. The way this plague sneaks up on everyone in the city who might have stopped it has been scary to watch...a little to reminiscent of our world's early-days handling of covid.

I've also started reading Crow Talk, but after 40 pages I'm still trying to figure out what this one is all about. I chose it because I enjoyed Eileen Garvin's The Music of Bees so much that I wanted to read more from her. Lots of scene-setting and character introductions to this point.


And I will probably be adding one or two of these before the end of the week also. I say probably because I do have a one-day roadtrip planned for tomorrow that will eat up a big chunk of reading time - and could easily turn into a two-day trip:




So here we go...good reading everyone! Have a fun week.

10 comments:

  1. I'm curious about Crow Talk because I also really loved Garvin's Music of Bees. My fingers are crossed that it ends up being equally good. Happy reading this week, Sam! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The writing is excellent, just as I expected it to be. The tone and setting are very different from The Music of Bees, but I have the feeling that this is going to be really good.

      Delete
  2. I did read The Stranger and The Plague by Camus and for me The Plague is the much better novel.. it's thought provoking about the different ways people behave when a pestilence takes over a country. Camus was part of the French resistance during WW II and critics have said that the pestilence he was talking about was Nazism. But the book found new life in 2020 when Covid came along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Nazism comparison sounds very likely, especially considering the times in which the book was written and published, but it really works well - at least so far- as just a straightforward tale about a devastating pandemic and how one city and its people reacted to it all. I've also never read The Stranger, but have wondered about it. Maybe one day...but that's kind of doubtful now, if I'm honest with myself.

      Delete
  3. I'll be interested in seeing what you think of Falling, if you get around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only read the first couple of chapters so far, but it is surprising me. It's much better written than I expected it to be...especially after its overdone prologue to the first chapter. Those first few pages almost convinced me to give up on it, but the next two chapters, I think, are really set up well for what's to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved The Music of Bees and will be watching to see if you change your mind about Crow Talk. I liked The Stranger and Camus' essay The Myth of Sisyphus, but not The Plague. I think I should give it ago--whether Nazi or Covid, the timing seems right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crow Talk is growing on me now that I'm getting deeper into the characters. It's a "quiet" kind of story in which not a lot is really happening, but it is being set up really nicely. I think my biggest surprise from The Plague is how readable it is; for some reason it kind of intimidated me for a long time. I'm reading a translation by Laura Marris.

      Delete
  6. I am actually reading two fiction books right now, unusual for me. They are both mysteries: Rex Stout's Plot it Yourself (Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin) and Bill Crider's Winning Can Be Murder (Sheriff Dan Rhodes). The Bill Crider book is on the Kindle and getting the Kindle Scribe is helping me to read more eBooks.

    I hope you are having a good trip or back safely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wondering what you guys thought of the Kindle Scribe. I'm still enjoying it a lot, and I don't think I've missed a single day using it since mid-November when I got it. It's just so versatile. I haven't read Crider's Dan Rhodes books, so I'm curious about it - along with that Nero Wolfe novel you're reading it. I wish more of the Wolfe novels were on Kindle Unlimited instead of all those Perry Mason novels.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.