Sunday, March 17, 2024

What I'm Reading This Week (March 18, 2024)

 


Despite continuing to succumb to so many distractions last week, I managed to finish three of the books I've been reading. One of them, The Case of the Empty Tin, is a book I'm very happy to finally have in my rear-view mirror; and another one, Day, did not work for me nearly as well as I'd hoped it would. Day turned out to be just OK for me, but I did really enjoy How to Solve Your Own Murder enough to at least even out my derision of the Perry Mason novel mentioned. So all in all, not a terrible week after all.

Things definitely got better for me near the end of the week when I started having fun with the novel about the man who claims he's 1100 years old (only 106 year years old in his current model, however), Again and Again. And I've been pleasantly surprised that Patric Gagne's memoir, Sociopath, has been both highly informative and easy to read. But the best part of the week might just turn out to be my discovery of two new titles, both of which are very promising in their early stages:

A Death in Denmark is Amulya Malladi's first book in her Gabriel Praest series. The publisher quotes a blurb saying "Philip Marlowe meets Nordic Noir" to describe this one, and my early reading of it does give me some classic noir vibe, so maybe they're not exaggerating about that. The story sees Gabriel reluctantly agreeing to investigate the murder conviction of an Iraqi refugee as a favor to someone once close to him. What he discovers about the case leads him to believe that the man has been framed. Now what does he do?

The Storm We Made is set in Malaya in 1935 prior to the Japanese invasion when that country was still a British colony. It is the story of one family's experience under British rule and then under Japanese occupation in 1945. The story is told in alternating chapters centered on four family members during each of those periods. Rather than presenting their story chronologically, the chapters often flash backward and forward to set up what happens next after decisions and choices made or not made. It is really well written by Malaysian author Vanessa Chan.

I'm still reading in and out of Kat Timpf's You Can't Joke About That, but I'm finding it less and less compelling as I get deeper into it. I'm starting, I'm afraid, to think that it's already made it's point and is now beginning to get repetitive. I'm still hoping that's not the case, however.

So now the scary point of the week. I mentioned last week that I was curious about the 2024 Women's Prize for fiction and that I had put several books from the longlist on hold at my library. Well, guess what? All nine  (of sixteen total on the list) of the books I put on hold are ready and waiting at my branch library for pickup, something that hasn't happened quite this way in a long time. Usually the books trickle in in twos and threes...but nine? Never. My plan is to bring them all home and take a close look at each of them in hopes of uncovering something special that I want to read immediately. I do need that kind of jump-start right now, but nine new books is too overwhelming to even consider tackling when there are others I already want to read soon. Because these are so readily available, it looks to me like no one else in Harris County is much interested in the 2024 Women's Prize.

Here are the ones ready waiting for me:

  1. Ordinary Human Failings - Megan Nolan
  2. Nightbloom - Peace Adzo Medie
  3. And Then She Fell - Alecia Elliott
  4. The Blue, Beautiful World - Karen Lord
  5. 8 Lives of a Century-Old Trickster - Mirinae Lee
  6. Enter Ghost - Isabella Hammad
  7. Soldier Sailor - Claire Kilroy
  8. River East, River West  Aube Rey Lescu
  9. Hangman - Maya Binyam
Does anyone know anything about these titles or authors? I'd appreciate any recommendations you may have.

So it's on to the new week...Happy Reading, All!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my, the books all came in at once, that's tough! I'm curious about Enter Ghost and River East, River West. See which ones interest you when you pick them up. I read The Storm We Made and liked the Malaysian setting aspect of it and spying for Japan made it a bit new but some of the kids' parts were over the top and seemed a stretch. Though the mother really puts her family in danger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked them up this morning and all but a couple of them really have me curious to know more about them. In particular, the two you mention look really good from what I got out of flipping through them. But they are by writers from all over the world and in places I'm not familiar with, so I can imagine this list could be turned into a fun project. There are sixteen of them, though...and I've only read one (Western Lane from the Booker List), so it is too much to take on unless I make it into a really long project. Lots of potential here, for sure.

      I'm still enjoying The Storm We Made a lot at about the 100-page mark, and haven't reacted that way to the kid-sections yet. I'm curious to see if that happens to me, too.

      Delete
  2. I wish I did know something about those women authors and their books, but the only one I've ever read is Peace Adzo Medie. I did really like her book His Only Wife. Happy reading this week. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know, Lark. I'll definitely keep that one in mind.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.