Sunday, March 24, 2024

Sociopath - Patric Gagne

 


I've read dozens of memoirs over the last few years, but seldom has one surprised me quite as much as Patric Gagne's Sociopath. I initially wanted to read Sociopath because of my confusion (and as it turns out, my misunderstanding) of the difference between the terms "sociopath" and "psychopath." I had come to believe that the difference between the two was based on criminal activity - psychopaths were criminals, sociopaths were just manipulative jerks. Patric Gagne has opened my eyes regarding sociopathy by first pointing out that many mental health professionals themselves don't seem to understand the difference between a psychopath and a sociopath a whole lot better than I understood it before reading Sociopath. And that's the problem.

Patric Gagne is a sociopath. She lives the life of a sociopath so she knows what she is talking about. But Gagne does not draw only from her personal experiences to reach the conclusions that she reaches about what sociopathy really is. While in college, she tried to learn more about why she was so different from all of her fellow students only to be frustrated by how little information she could find about sociopathy in the university library. Frustrated as she may have been, Gagne was so determined to learn why she is the way she is that she ultimately earned a PhD in clinical psychology from The Chicago School of Professional Psychology and became a therapist. Her mission is to help write an expanded definition of sociopathy that likens the condition to a learning disability; in this case, an inability to learn or absorb most of the spectrum of human emotion. By eliminating the negative connotation of the term, Gagne hopes that the rest of us will understand that sociopaths are not evil people, that the disorder they were born with is a treatable one. Just as importantly, she wants to give hope to others struggling to control their own antisocial behavioral compulsions. 

You only have to read the "Introduction" to Sociopath to know that you have something special in your hands. In the very first sentence, Gagne tells you that she is a sociopath. And within the book's first half-page, what she tells you about herself and other sociopaths is enough to make you more than a little bit nervous about being around people like her. But that's the point. You already are around people like the ones she describes because they are doctors, neighbors, lawyers, co-workers, school teachers, etc. They are everywhere.

If you want to learn why they behave the way they do (especially, I think,  if you've ever worked with or for a sociopath), this is a book you need to read. If you want to learn what it feels like to live the daily struggle of being a sociopath in a world in which everyone "gets it" but you, this is a book you need to read. But most of all, if you are a sociopath wanting to know more about yourself and the disability you were born with, Sociopath is definitely the book for you.


(Look for Sociopath on April 2, 2024.)

12 comments:

  1. Your review explains the book so well and I guess my problem with the author being diagnosed as a sociopath is that I had always thought it was a term reserved for people like Ted Bundy. And if Bundy and other serial killers are sociopaths it seems to me that Patric Gagne is being too hard on herself to feel she shares the same label.

    But I must read her book to find out why Patric is so sure she is a sociopath. And I will also be interested if she talks about narcissistic personality disorder because they share some of the qualities of sociopaths.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The current thinking seems to be the psychopathy and sociopathy are on the same spectrum, but sociopaths share far fewer check-list characteristics than psychopaths. My perception had been that psychopaths were, as you said, the Ted Bundys of the world, and sociopaths were the kind of people you met on used car lots. And I think it was that way for a while. Gagne was shocked to learn that nowhere in the literature of her college days could she find a clinical definition of sociopathy. That's what led her to become the credentialed person she now is.

      I don't remember for sure if narcissistic personality disorder is addressed or not. You will find the various checklists she describes fascinating. I didn't mention her description of the pressure that builds up in sociopathic personalities that she believes can only be relieved by doing something completely socially unacceptable. Apathy is the enemy of sociopaths and she wants to teach others how to stop the pressure valve from popping.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sam, I don't think you can have seen my last blog post and as I consider you to be one of my closer blogging friends I thought I'd just pop in let you know why I'm not around at the moment. My husband, Peter, died of a heart-attack just over a week ago. It was a sudden death, very little warning, so it's naturally come as a huge shock. I'm grateful though that he didn't suffer for long and also that I have good family to look after me. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cath, I am so sorry to hear this about Peter. I can only imagine what you and your family are going through right now. I've been wondering about you for the last several days, but was hoping that you were just taking a break and that nothing was wrong. Please take care of yourself and know that you are in my thoughts. Thank you so much for letting me know.

      Delete
  3. This is one I really want to read just to find out more about her and how she and other sociopaths deal with life when they're not emotionally wired the same way. It sounds so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be a very frustrating life for those who have as much self-awareness as Gagne does. She's been searching for ways to "cure" herself since she was a child, really, instinctively figuring out what builds up the pressure that brings her to a periodic breaking point where she acts out against society in protest. She makes a strong case that she is on to something positive here.

      Delete
  4. I'm adding this one to my list. I'm fascinated with brains and psychology and have what I titled "brain stuff" on my feeds that has links to articles from Psychology News, PsycPort, and Science: Neuroscience. Thanks, Sam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one sounds like it's perfect for you, Jenclair. I think I learned a lot from it and was generally impressed with everything that Gagne has to say about sociopathy. She's certainly one to have strong opinions based upon her personal experience and struggles to control it.

      Delete
  5. In college I used to hear the joke that people who were majoring in psychology were the people with their own psychological problems themselves. I am glad taking that route worked for the author. Come to think of it, my minor was psychology and I am not sure why except that it was interesting. (My major was math.) It does sound like an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly why Gagne went into the field. Try as hard as she did, she could never find anyone with answers or approaches that made any sense to her, so she figured out something that works for her - and, hopefully, for others.

      Delete
  6. I don't know very much about her condition, except stereotypes- so this sounds like it would be an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was kind of in the same boat going in to this one. And of course, all the crime fiction I read had strongly contributed to the stereotype I had in mind. I have a much better feel for what sociopathy is now after reading the memoir.

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.